3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A new users technical questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A new users technical questions.

Evening. So I've got some plans for the future while owning this truck and most of them are ambitious and I want to know if I can do them at all. Hopefully this is the right forum that as they're technical related. If there's existing posts please link me to them. Here's the list:
- Add auto-darkening mirror even if it did not come with it.
- Add ESP if it did not come with it. (This is less of a desire and more of just curiosity).
- Convert cloth seat to power.
- Change my electronic 4 position 4wd switch over to the 5 position automatic 4wd switch. (This is something I'd very much like to do)

Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowBeast428
Evening. So I've got some plans for the future while owning this truck and most of them are ambitious and I want to know if I can do them at all. Hopefully this is the right forum that as they're technical related. If there's existing posts please link me to them. Here's the list:
- Add auto-darkening mirror even if it did not come with it.
- Add ESP if it did not come with it. (This is less of a desire and more of just curiosity).
- Convert cloth seat to power.
- Change my electronic 4 position 4wd switch over to the 5 position automatic 4wd switch. (This is something I'd very much like to do)
1. So you have the overhead display? If so the wiring should be there for the mirror, if not you will either need to wire it in or get the whole harness.
2. IDK
3. Plug should be under the carpet
4. Unsure

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

what year is your truck. 3rd gen of different years can be networked differently.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:25 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional

Originally Posted by primem
what year is your truck. 3rd gen of different years can be networked differently.
2007 dodge ram 1500. I looked up front and I see electrical wires going to the wheel hubs so I'm guessing it has 4 wheel ABS. would make sense as it used to be an enterprise truck.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:45 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You don't want ESP it sucks on curvy roads and it's just one more thing to go bad. If you want to convert to the 5 position transfer case switch with the full time option you will have to swap the transfer case, which I also wouldn't recommend because the part time only transfer case you have now is stronger and more reliable due to less moving parts.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional

Originally Posted by 00t444e
You don't want ESP it sucks on curvy roads and it's just one more thing to go bad. If you want to convert to the 5 position transfer case switch with the full time option you will have to swap the transfer case, which I also wouldn't recommend because the part time only transfer case you have now is stronger and more reliable due to less moving parts.
well thats fun since i think its open rear. Kinda expected it to be just a software related thing but it does make sense now. As for esp you have a point but the plow people leave snow in intersections or turns here and dont do the best of jobs. Is it possible to add or is it not without extra parts altho please do explain more how it sucks on curvy roads as im actually curious.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:03 PM
00t444e
Captain

Originally Posted by SnowBeast428
well thats fun since i think its open rear. Kinda expected it to be just a software related thing but it does make sense now. As for esp you have a point but the plow people leave snow in intersections or turns here and dont do the best of jobs. Is it possible to add or is it not without extra parts altho please do explain more how it sucks on curvy roads as im actually curious.
If the esp thinks you are going around a curve to fast it will kill power to the engine, and you won't be able to accelerate out of the curve like you should, sometimes it can also cause it to pull to one side when it does this, it wouldn't be much help in the snow either. An open rear diff sucks also the most effective thing to do would be getting a good limited slip like a Detroit truetrac or Detroit locker if you need a full locker, it depends on what you use your truck for.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 PM
SnowBeast428
Professional

Originally Posted by 00t444e
If the esp thinks you are going around a curve to fast it will kill power to the engine, and you won't be able to accelerate out of the curve like you should, sometimes it can also cause it to pull to one side when it does this, it wouldn't be much help in the snow either. An open rear diff sucks also the most effective thing to do would be getting a good limited slip like a Detroit truetrac or Detroit locker if you need a full locker, it depends on what you use your truck for.
Guess I was misinformed that it was as good as i've heard. A truetrac would work as that's an LSD last i remember right? Also I'm looking to get a auto darkening rear view mirror. Should I get some generic one or should I try to find the right one for the year i have? I wouldn't know what part number i'm looking for however.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:00 PM
00t444e
Captain

A Truetrac is the best limited slip on the market in my opinion. I'm not sure about the mirror, but I think an after market one would probably be fine.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:41 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

An adtermarket one won't work unless it's a direct replacement and used the factory connector

Quick Reply: A new users technical questions.