3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Negative Offset Wheels and Tires that Stick out of Fender

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Mike410tep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative Offset Wheels and Tires that Stick out of Fender

Hello I am looking to "stance" my truck and get a negative offset rim and wide tire my truck is lifted two inches and I have almost a 34 inch tire on them now they just sit even with the fender. I was wondering how I will know if I will rub when my tires sit outside the fender.

Thank You

Mike

Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you are going for a look. However to much negative off set is hard on the front end steering ball joints and bearings.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p38251
I know you are going for a look. However to much negative off set is hard on the front end steering ball joints and bearings.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said.

However, 285/70x17s, 2 1/2" level, -12mm offset:

Name:  P1010841.jpg
Views: 4414
Size:  33.0 KB

There's no rubbing, but I've had to replace the driver's side wheel bearing. I figure the passenger side will go eventually.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010841.jpg (33.0 KB, 281 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Need to be more concerned about backspacing. Offset is a calculated value. Backspacing is what makes your tires stick out of the fenders.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:25 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to be more concerned about backspacing. Offset is a calculated value. Backspacing is what makes your tires stick out of the fenders.
Sorry, not true. Offset is not "calculated", it's the difference between the mounting surface of the hub and the center line of the wheel. Backspace DOES NOT affect how much tire is outside the fender. It only affects the inner clearance of suspension parts and the inside of the wheel.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Sorry, not true. Offset is not "calculated", it's the difference between the mounting surface of the hub and the center line of the wheel. Backspace DOES NOT affect how much tire is outside the fender. It only affects the inner clearance of suspension parts and the inside of the wheel.
Are you bad at math?

You are correct on the definition of offset. However, you cannot change offset, without changing backspacing, given the same wheel width. (and of course, the reverse is also true.) If you have a 10 inch wide wheel, with 4 inches of backspacing, it is going to stick out further from the wheel well, than a 10" wide wheel with 5" inches of backspacing. Yes, offset will still be different in that case.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:40 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you bad at math?

You are correct on the definition of offset. However, you cannot change offset, without changing backspacing, given the same wheel width. (and of course, the reverse is also true.) If you have a 10 inch wide wheel, with 4 inches of backspacing, it is going to stick out further from the wheel well, than a 10" wide wheel with 5" inches of backspacing. Yes, offset will still be different in that case.
No, I'm not bad at math. I can read, though. Offset is the only determining factor. Negative change of offset pushes the wheel out relative to the body, positive change brings it in. Offset is NOT calculated. It's built in to the wheel design.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
No, I'm not bad at math. I can read, though. Offset is the only determining factor. Negative change of offset pushes the wheel out relative to the body, positive change brings it in. Offset is NOT calculated. It's built in to the wheel design.
Six of one, half dozen of the other, I suppose.

For the SAME wheel width, changing offset will change backspacing. And vice versa. It is more than possible to have two wheels with the same offset, but, different backspacing. Of course, that would also make them different widths as well.

While technically, yes, you can determine backspacing from offset, why not just go directly with the measurement that counts? Backspacing. Makes life much easier. It's also much more straightforward.