3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 idling

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
saxman000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 idling

Howdy all.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7 L V6, manual transmission (3rd Gen)

I've been having issues with rough idling. I've changed out the vacuum hoses, spark plugs, IAC. When I did this, the idling was great, but it started to idling craziness again.
I'm about to change the coils (they are the original, so 15 years old) and the Throttle Position Sensor. I'll be back in a bit to let you know how the idling goes.

Also, I discovered white smoke (which I know is water), but I see no leaks and have been looking, while I am idling sometimes and driving. I know the next thing to do is redo the engine, which I might just drop a V8 in there.

I love my truck, as we all do. Just need to get it running right, ya'll know that feeling!

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Thanks in advanced.

Albert

Old 07-11-2017, 04:34 PM
kiteman35

Do you use any type of injector cleaner like every other month? My 03 hated this corn gas that we have now.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:46 PM
saxman000

I just came in to get some water, it's a little warm here in TX.

I do, not every other month though. I use Lucas. I guess I should use that more? Or put in a strong dose to clean out the injectors?

I just started this year, I guess after a while, it has built up.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:37 PM
saxman000

Ok, so I got the coils on...that was quick. The old ones were shot to hell. I should have replaced them when I was doing my spark plugs.

Throttle body sensor, got it off ok, but the connector was a PAIN to removed. I guess after 15 years it decided to stay. I got it disconnected, got the new one on and only to realize that I broke the locking clip on the connector.

SO, I went ahead and put it on, drove it and it is VERY nice. But we know that connector needs to be replaced. I am just having a heck of a time trying to find a replacement connector. Would Advance Auto have it? I'm about to clean up and head over there shortly.

Hopefully I will be able to get this done tomorrow in a timely manner.

If there is anyone that would like to give any advice, I would appreciate it.

On a side note, didn't see any smoke. Did have some water come out the tailpipe, but I have not ran it today and it's been in the shade. Also, no smell of antifreeze. Even checked the oil, nothing in there.

Thank you all!