3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help 4.7l random stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Cescott0414
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help 4.7l random stalling issue

so about a year ago I used my remote start and come out to the truck not running , thought it was a fluke , went to drive to work and the truck started stalling out when slowing down . I have replaced the IAC already and I ended up taking it to the mechince , when it stalls the gauges frezze where there at for about 10 seconds and then drop down and the low file light comes on , I lose the box that shows up around drive and the only way to restart the truck is to put it in park , put the key all the way back and then restart it , the truck won’t sense what gear you are in once it has stalled , for the past year many shops have had it and still can’t fix it , it has a new crank shaft sensor , camshaft sensor , iac , fuse box , TBI, PCM, fuel pump , speed sensor , map sensor , ignition switch , fuel presser checks out good , and timing on engine is good , checked timing chains and there on the right teeth , I’m running out of ideas and need help , some people say I need to change the wiring harnesses out , others say it’s a ground , I have sandpaper every ground I could find and I’m just out of ideas and running out of money to sink into my truck.... any ideas would be help or if anyone has had this problem it would be good to hear , it stalls while driving or at times even idling.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:17 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when it stall does the red security light come on? this happen to me, the key was going bad and not recognizing the ignition anymore and crapping out, once I got a new fob all issues went away. also if you have a fob, take out the battery, it may be going bad.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Cescott0414

No security light when it stalls the gauges will frezze for about 10 seconds then drop , low fuel light will come on and check engine light will come on , but will not give a code also you lose the box around the gear position indicator and can not restart until key is turned to off position and back on , if in drive truck must be put fully in park before restarting.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if the entire ignition system needs to be changed out, could be a short somewhere

Old 10-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Cescott0414

ignation system has a new tumbler , new ignation switch and wiring in the sterring wheel and sterring coloumn have been checked for breaks. right now i have been put on to a shorting out coil.. but i cant get a test to work so far because its a short under load if it is the cause.