DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   need help by morning! 06 died, turns over, wont start now (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/408918-need-help-by-morning-06-died-turns-over-wont-start-now.html)

Sh40674 11-15-2017 11:37 PM

need help by morning! 06 died, turns over, wont start now

OK so me and the wife did some christmas shopping tonight, came back out, loaded the truck up, she put the baby in the carseat so i started the truck to keep him warm. walked around to the other side, started loading stuff and i could hear the exhaust idling real low, starting to putt like it was running out of gas. walked around to the drivers door to check the RPMs and it died before i got there. now it turns over just fine like normal, but no start and no attempt to start. kinda like it ran bone dry on gas. headed back out there (stuck at walmart, of all places) before work tonight and tried to scan for codes but nothing came up.. doesn't mean i don't have one, maybe it just wouldn't read? anyways, did that and then tried unhooking the battery for a couple mins, no dice. so i looked for the fuel relay and realized there isn't one, and read online it's incorporated into the whole fuse box? is that correct? called a TIPM? i do not hear the buzzing of the fuel pump when i first turn the key over if that helps any

so my questions here is what do you think fellas? bad fuel pump? the TIPM thingy? crank sensor? how do i test for each? never tested power to a fuel pump before. do you think it's something else?

i'm in a pickle, getting a vasectomy tomorrow so i wont be in any shape to work on my truck for a few days... and immediate advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! i need my truck back on the road ASAP

Sh40674 11-16-2017 12:14 AM

i should add it's a 4.7, 4x4. fuel is just below 1/8 tank. fuel gauge works fine as far as i know.

66three83 11-16-2017 10:55 AM

No fuel pump buzz when ignition first turned? That’s a fuel pump failure. Try tapping your tank with a 2x4 or something while the ignition is on. Sometimes that gets it going again, but replace immediately!

TNtech 11-16-2017 11:03 AM

I'm thinking fuel pump as well.

Originally Posted by Sh40674 (Post 3366214)

i'm in a pickle, getting a vasectomy tomorrow so i wont be in any shape to work on my truck for a few days... and immediate advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! i need my truck back on the road ASAP

Hey but there's good news! You can get a new truck in about 18 more years LOL

Two Words: Frozen Peas.

Sh40674 11-17-2017 09:26 AM

Got the frozen peas on right now! Lol.. shot some ether in the intake and it fired, so ots 100 percent a fuel delivery problem... what are the chances of this being the TIPM not giving power? Hit the tank with a mallet and it didn't help.
I'm having a buddy fixit for me while I'm down, just want to make sure it's 100 percent the fuel pump before I have him rip into it

HeyYou 11-17-2017 11:12 AM

Verify the pump is getting power, but, you aren't getting fuel pressure.

redangel 11-17-2017 08:04 PM

this happen to me once

Easy way to see if you have fuel pressure take black cap Off of fuel rail and press the Schrader valve down if fuel squirts out you know the fuel pumps working next push accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and try starting it sometimes throttle becomes sticky and the little motor that runs the butterfly get stuck computer has an override just like a regular cable driven carburetor

Sh40674 11-18-2017 09:05 AM

It was the fuel pump, thanks everyone!

66three83 11-18-2017 01:18 PM

You’re Welcome!

redangel 11-19-2017 01:04 AM

No problem

No problem