3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Ram starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM
therockdog
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Ram starting issue

hey guys it's been a long time since i have been on here but i have a question that hopefully someone can help me out with. I have a 2006 Ram quad cab 4x4. i went out yesterday to start it for work and it just cranked really really slow. i figured it was the -11 degrees outside that drained my battery so after work i got a new battery and it still cranking very slow and will not start. (on a side note it was cranking slowly through out the summer too so i figured the battery was needed.) anyways i spoke to a buddy of mine and he said that it sounded like the starter. i asked even though it is still engaging? he said yes it could be.

what do you all think? i ordered a new starter today and we will see but i wanted to still check it out with you guys to see if you all think the same thing.

thanks
JT

Old 01-03-2018, 02:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Thing to do would be a starter draw test. Of course, that would involve getting it close to the test instrument...... Don't know if the parts stores rent those or not.....

But, yeah, it's entirely possible the starter is failing, and giving you the slow crank. If it was doing it already this summer, then the COLD weather will only make it worse.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM
therockdog
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Thing to do would be a starter draw test. Of course, that would involve getting it close to the test instrument...... Don't know if the parts stores rent those or not.....

But, yeah, it's entirely possible the starter is failing, and giving you the slow crank. If it was doing it already this summer, then the COLD weather will only make it worse.

thank you i just needed another opinion on this i will switch the starter out tonight and we will see. thank you

Old 01-04-2018, 11:17 AM
therockdog
Rookie

ok well switched out the starter and nothing. it has power put the key in and the lights come on the dinger dings but turn the key and nothing. any ideas? also the column shifter indicator everyone is lite up PRND12

Last edited by therockdog; 01-04-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In the TIPM, Fuse 10, 5 amp. Check it, make sure it is good. (if you have another one, just replace it.)

The ignition switch sends power to the starter relay, then to the PCM, PCM controls the ground for the circuit.

PCM gets input from the TIPM as well, thru the P/N switch. I would assume the PCM needs to see some voltage there, in order to ground the starter relay control circuit. (connector 3, yellow with dark blue trace, pin 21.) See if you are getting anything there. (going to require a volt meter, and a second body......)

Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
therockdog
Rookie

In the TIPM, Fuse 10, 5 amp. Check it, make sure it is good. (if you have another one, just replace it.)

The ignition switch sends power to the starter relay, then to the PCM, PCM controls the ground for the circuit.

PCM gets input from the TIPM as well, thru the P/N switch. I would assume the PCM needs to see some voltage there, in order to ground the starter relay control circuit. (connector 3, yellow with dark blue trace, pin 21.) See if you are getting anything there. (going to require a volt meter, and a second body......)
i will check that out. i switched the horn relay and the starter relay because i heard they are the same (for testing purposes) it did nothing.

Last edited by therockdog; 01-04-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:07 PM
therockdog
Rookie

would that be the panel in or out of the cab?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 PM
therockdog
Rookie

i looked at the fuse box under the hood and #10 was empty and it is a 5 but said it's for TRX . so now when you turn it over you can hear everything kick in fuel pump dingers turn the key to start it you get one click then the column shifter indicator everyone is lite up with squares around one PRND12

Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's odd...... Would be nice if the wiring diagrams actually reflected reality......

Wonder if you are having issues with the ignition switch, or something even more magical........

Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 AM
therockdog
Rookie

That's odd...... Would be nice if the wiring diagrams actually reflected reality......

Wonder if you are having issues with the ignition switch, or something even more magical........
i was wondering the same thing last night. i am getting irritated that's for sure. It was working fine until we got this cold spell and it sat for three days un-driven. now im so confused i have never seen the drive-line indicators all have squares around them like they are all in gear at the same time. i really thank you for the help you have tried giving me. lol

Quick Reply: 06 Ram starting issue