3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram 4.7 coolant in #8 cyl but has good compression?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Tomco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazwel
Tomco, any updates?
In the end I suspect it was the head gasket bolts that the mechanic chose to reuse failed. We never quite identified why it failed but it did. This time around I purchased a complet gasket set with new head bolts ( When he did the heads the first time he told me he had tested the old bolts and they were still in spec and that we didn't need to replace them...All I know is was the #8 cylinder that failed the first time and # 8 the second time... This time around the truck wasn't overheating it was just spewing out white smoke and running rough for a few minutes when I started it in the morning after sitting ...It got progessivley worse and due to the mechanics and my schedule getting it in to have him dig into basically "under warranty / for free" I drove it lightly for about a month..as it progessed it ran rougher and rougher longer and longer until it started running really rough all the time..( bent valves )

I asked my mechanic if running it rough like I did in the beginning where it only choked and sputtered for a few minutes could have led to the valves getting bent...He didn't think so and thought that the new after market lash adjusters had failed...Who knows...
When he got it apart we sent it out to have the heads looked at and they identified that #5 and #6 valves were bent..that was what was making it run rough all the time...remember when this started it was only #8 coming up in the engine codes...it wasn't until a month of light driving that the 5 and 6 codes showed up...

So...I think the head gasket leaked in #8 and after driving it too long like that rough it caused the valve to bend in 5 and 6 ...have no idea if I am right it's just my guess.

I purchased a complet new set of valve lash adjusters that don't show up as working in the dodge they show as they are for a ford 4.6 but in reading on various forums they were supposed to be better than the after market ones available for Dodge. The "new ones" failed and it very well could have been because it was running so rough.....but the mechanic said doubtful...I say hmmmmm? Nevertheless I needed to replace 5 and 6 so rather than mess with any others failing I purchased a complete new set ..again...
There are several brands out there that all look the same and are probably made by the same company...these looked different and I went for it...and 1000 miles in so far so good...going to change the oil this week but I have to say the truck is running nicely since I got it back..fingers crossed.. I paid for the gasket set, bolts and valve job ....the mechanic did the redo and fluids gratis.. It's a 2003 still under 74K so hopefully will provide me good transportation for many years to come..

Last edited by Tomco; 03-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Chazwel
Professional

Thanks Tomco. My truck is still running rough. I think it is the heads. Will update when I decide what to do.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Chazwel
Professional

I pick my truck up from the shop today. $320 later, it end up being loose rockers, engine running on 6 cylinders. I will run the **** out of it for a couple of weeks and report back. It is amazing how many heads are junk on the 4.7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Ram 4.7 coolant in #8 cyl but has good compression?