3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Bearing

I have been hearing a little of bit of noise lately but could note quite figure out where it was coming from. I finally jacked up the front wheels and rotated the from wheels. The passenger wheel bearing is shot. I am surprised how quickly it went from some noise to really bad. I didn't notice any problems when I did the brakes last year and I don't drive it very often.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a question associated with your post? What kind of vehicle is this referencing?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 AM
gcburkett
Veteran

I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 4x4. I worked trying to get the bearing out yesterday some. Its in there pretty good.
I was doing the push on the bolts method using the steering but it did not budge like the other side did. I did not want to go too hard with the steering to avoid damage there.
I see there are hub pullers that push against the axle. Has anyone had experience with the pullers? Maybe the PJ blaster will do some good leaving it a couple of days.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your issue is getting the hub out of the knuckle. PB blaster and a big hammer are all that you need. You should be really pissed at it for doing this to you, having sidelined your truck and making you work on this instead of going to dinner with the girls. Let it know how you truly feel about that. Do not play nicey nice. The bearing is already fkd, do not be concerned about it other than to getting it out of your life as soon as possible. Wack it out of there with thumps of persuasion of increasing intensity. Go around the rim of the hub. It will move a bit with each wack. If it doesn't move. Hit it harder! Do not press or pull against the components of the truck as you may cause other damage. Beat on the hub in directions that drift it out bit by bit, hard.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 02-26-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

I finally got the wheel bearing off. This was the worst job I have had to do. Bigger hammer then air chisel. There are some marks but I think the knuckle will be fine. A bigger air chisel may have made it easier. This job wore me out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you got to it!
LOL, if that was the worst job ... anxiously waiting to hear from you when you decide to tackle the shocks and lower ball joints.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM
gcburkett
Veteran

Well, at least I would hope the bearing would be easier to remove now. I think I would just pay. The cost to repair my back is probably more than the cost to pay someone. I would have paid someone for this job, the book time and labor rate don't bother me its paying more than double for the bearing assembly that get me.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing