3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrading from "stock" tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:12 AM
glock45
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from "stock" tires

Ok I am in the market for new tires as my P265/70R17 tires are done. I have been looking at several LT series tires as I want a more aggressive look and to a point better traction so I have been looking at LT265 and LT285 70R17 tires.

I will be doing some minor off roading..loose sand/dirt, (no rockcrawling) but the majority is on paved road.

I have looked at several brands and types of tires and came across a site that, after plugging in the tires that I wanted spit the following message at me:

"When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure. "

Will changing my tire size from the stock 265/70R17 to 285/70R17 really cause this issue? I know that the tire will obiviously weight a bit more due to a wider tread but if the brake system is that sensitive I hope I really dont stomp on them and "overload" the braking system...... [:'(]

By the way I am looking at the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R or Dayton Timberline M/T series/type of tires.

Any insight into the brake issue or comments on the tires above is much appreciated.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 AM
GotHemi?
Professional
Default RE: Upgrading from "stock" tires

No clue about the brake issue but check TireRack.com

Old 12-04-2005, 06:58 AM
BeasTA

it will cause *slightly* more time needed to slow the wheels. With the larger diameter tire it just increases rotational mass, which in turn takes more energy to stop, causing more wear to the brakes. But this is no reason to keep you from getting bigger tires. With the size change, you wont even notice a difference in stopping at all.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Some vehicles that rely on electronic VSS and use this information to control the ABS can see a difference in braking in emergency situations.

I don't think that the rotational mass difference is something to really worry about because it will be in the neighborhood of a few pounds a tire.

Also don't forget that the speedo will also show you going slower than it actually is with larger tires.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:19 PM
skidder

I have a 2004 2500 QC 4x4. The first thing I did when I bought the truck was take off the crap OEM tires. I replaced them with 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R's. I brought the truck into the dealer and they recalabrated the computer for the new tire size. I have put 30k on them with NO complaints at all.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 AM
jpwarhal

If you are going to do most of your driving on road get the PRO COMP AT tires ....they are rated for 50,000 miles!!! damn good for an all terrain tire!!

Quick Reply: Upgrading from "stock" tires