DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/415458-2006-dodge-ram-1500-4x4-quad-cab.html)

LoungeLizzard88 06-14-2018 03:13 PM

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab

Hey guys, just picked up this 06 ram back in November. Im looking at different ways to customize and make it mine. What im interested in first is you guys thoughts as far as upgrades and such. It's my daily driver and toy hauler. Any thoughts or suggestions on things that should be a priority or things you've done to enhance driveability power gas mileage ect... much appreciated guys

HeyYou 06-14-2018 07:15 PM

Take care of maintenance first. Make sure everything is up to snuff, and working properly, then start playin' with it. :)

jrsick 06-15-2018 06:55 AM

Unless you have a reliable service history, I recommend that you replace the fluids. Front and rear differential, transmission and transfer case, engine oil, power steering, coolant, brake fluid, and serpentine belt. Plugs are 30K intervals, though mine look almost new at 30K. Upgrade after you know all of the important work is done.

HemiLonestar 06-15-2018 10:40 AM

Once it's a reliably functioning vehicle, where do you want to go and what is your budget? Power or looks?

LoungeLizzard88 06-15-2018 12:40 PM

Thanks guys, I guess a little of both as far as power and looks. No real set budget, just kinda trying to get an idea What people have done or tried and wether or not it was worth it. I've already done the oil change, rear differential, serpentine, coolant, training. It's close to needing brakes and rotors, any of you guys use the drilled and slotted ones? There only a few bucks more, just curious because I don't know much about them. I wanna add a secondary thermometer for the engine temp with actual numbers on it so I can monitor it better. More peace of mind than anything...

jkeaton 06-15-2018 12:52 PM

Avoid cross drilled rotors. Waste of money on a street driven vehicle. Especially a truck. What engine do you have? A tuner is by far the best bang for the buck mod for these trucks. Followed by freeing up the intake and exhaust.

LoungeLizzard88 06-15-2018 12:55 PM

Thanks, it's a 5.7 Hemi. Adding duel exhaust is a priority for me as it has just the single plain jane one now. Are cold air intakes worth the money, do they work as well as advertised?

jkeaton 06-15-2018 12:57 PM

No, they just look and sound nice. Some people claim a bit better throttle response.

LoungeLizzard88 06-15-2018 02:02 PM

Got ya, is there anything that does allow for better air flow and function more smoothly? Do those intake spacers make any kind of difference?

jkeaton 06-15-2018 02:42 PM

Ported throttle body and no, TB spacers do nothing on a port injected engine unless you are spraying. Really its the heads that's your flow limitation. You can put a CAI and ported TB on it, may result in a seat of the pants increase in power, but the design of the heads is the limiting factor in air flow through the engine.