3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got an electrical connector hanging Dow and I dont know where it goes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Greg84
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an electrical connector hanging Dow and I dont know where it goes.

Your looking in through the drivers side headlight opening. I removed it to try and trace where this wire should go. To the left the wire mounts to one of the bolts holding in the headlight. Then there’s the one which leads up and is connected to the side there with a pushpin. The the other one at the bottom is the one I don’t know about.
Today I went out to check something under my truck and saw a wire hanging down. I don’t know where it goes. I looked around for a good bit, but I can’t see it. Anyway I took this picture hopefully one of you guys will know.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Do you have fog lights?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Greg84
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Do you have fog lights?
no fog lights, but I just checked and the first selection on the light switch does nothing. The second selection does get the head lights working. I looked in the manual. It says the first selector is for parking lights. I never use them so I didn’t even know what it did.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

So you are saying your parking lights do not work? None of them?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Greg84
Amateur

So you are saying your parking lights do not work? None of them?
I thought I’d check again just to make sure. It’s really hard to see in the daylight, but yes the parking lights seem to be working. I was really just hoping someone with the same truck could take a quick look and tell me where that connector goes. Because I don’t know what it’s for. It doesn’t lead to the lights. That was just the only place for me to gain access to try and see. The upper wire is going up around the side of the fuse box and the wire to the left is a ground which is just mounted to a bolt that holds in the headlight assembly. The other wire was just hanging under the truck when I went under to check for a steering leak earlier today. Do you have a 3rd Gen?

Old 06-19-2018, 05:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Probably for fog lights or some other accessory your particular truck is not equipped with.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Greg84
Amateur

Probably for fog lights or some other accessory your particular truck is not equipped with.
ok well thanks for your help.

Do you know if a shop would be able to tell quickly, or is it something they would have to spend a lot of time tracking down?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Does everything that is actually on your truck work? If the answer is 'yes', then don't worry about it.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Greg84
Amateur

well I just looked up a video about changing fog lights on a 3rd Gen Ram and the connector isn’t the same. Nor would the wire reach that far. But thanks for your help

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does everything that is actually on your truck work? If the answer is 'yes', then don't worry about it.
it seems to, but it’s near the fuse box so I’m a little worried it might be important and I won’t know it until it’s too late.

does anyone out there own one of these trucks and could take a quick look where that wire goes? Please and thank you

Old 06-20-2018, 11:14 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This got me curious, so I decided to go take a look for myself.... it's the plug for the fog light wiring harness. It doesn't plug into the fog lights, it plugs into the wiring harness that goes across the bumper and plugs into the fog lights.

so short answer is, it's for fog lights.

Quick Reply: Got an electrical connector hanging Dow and I dont know where it goes.