DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Yet another spark plug question (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/420003-yet-another-spark-plug-question.html)

gamjunior38 12-04-2018 08:13 AM

Yet another spark plug question

Yes I know "What another dam spark plug question?" I have searched here but haven't found info for what I'm looking for with the set up I have. I have a misfire on a coil pack so I've decided to replace them all and while I was at it going to change the plugs and wires. I plan on upgrading, if you want to call it that, the coil packs and I'm trying to see what would work with what I want to do.
Here is my info on what I have now,
2005 1500 crew cab 2wd 5.7 with 298k, daily driver mostly highway around 100 miles a day. jet ski puller on the weekends
-stock rated plugs, replaced about every 50k
-original coils
-Taylor 10.4 shorty wires, have had these for about 4 years now, did away with the cross fire.

Thought of upgrades,
-MDS Street Fire coils, 55178
-Taylor 10.4 shorty wires, 79210
-NGK V-power spark plugs LZTR4A-11 5306

What are your thoughts on the direction that I'm thinking? Am I nuts? Wasting money? On the right path? Have no idea but try it and let us all know how it goes?

Thanks

HeyYou 12-04-2018 09:16 AM

Is it just a misfire, or are you getting code for that coil? I would be tempted to do the coil shuffle. Just swap it with another one, and see if the miss follows the coil. No point in replacing them if it isn't going to fix the problem.

gamjunior38 12-04-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3420704)
Is it just a misfire, or are you getting code for that coil? I would be tempted to do the coil shuffle. Just swap it with another one, and see if the miss follows the coil. No point in replacing them if it isn't going to fix the problem.

I did the coil swap and the problem followed. This is the second one that has gone bad so I guess at almost 300k miles thats not too bad. I figured I would just change them all out with fresh plugs and wires.

HeyYou 12-04-2018 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by gamjunior38 (Post 3420735)
I did the coil swap and the problem followed. This is the second one that has gone bad so I guess at almost 300k miles thats not too bad. I figured I would just change them all out with fresh plugs and wires.

Ok, that is perfectly reasonable. :) (and a good idea too.....)

Tiny Clark 12-05-2018 08:51 PM

I wouldn't waste the money. I bought a Toyota truck many years ago and it had 85000 miles on it. The plugs looked original, so I changed them after driving it for a few weeks to check MPG. The old ones were so worn that the gap was .075". The new plugs made no difference in the MPG or power at all. And, your engine is probably getting tired and has surely lost some compression. Just replace the bad coil. We had a saying in the USAF, if it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is broke.