3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission failure 2005 1500 4x4

Old 12-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Johnny thorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission failure 2005 1500 4x4 5.7

Greetings! My question today; I was accelerating from a traffic light when the tranny disengaged. It remains unresponsive to drive and reverse and now makes a whirring sound (mp3 audio attached) that changes pitch with engine speed and runs-on for a couple of seconds after engine has stopped. Can someone confirm that this is a fluid pump failure or torque converter, or something else? Thanks in advance, and may your holiday be better spent than dropping a tranny :-)

Attached Files

Last edited by Johnny thorn; 12-24-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added information
Old 12-24-2018, 11:26 AM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The audio file wont work for me. Have you checked the fluid? Has there been any other noises leading up to this? Could be that your flex plate broke, they are known to crack. Ive heard of a few torque converters that completely died and would do anything. Check your fluid level with the motor off then running to check if the pump is working or remove a cooler line and see if it pumps the fluid out. After that i would i would drop the pan and check out the magnet. Dont think it would be the solenoid pack, they typically act up and will just miss a gear or 2.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Johnny thorn

Thats a great idea for the pump test and it passed, so the pump is working. No visible flecks in the fluid in sunlight, no leaks and fluid level is good. The only previous symptom has been it would occasionally take a few seconds for the tranny to engage, particularly in cooler weather but it's done that since it was new, now with 162k miles. Because I hear the sound slow down to a stop after the engine has stopped turning tells me that it's something that is after the fluid coupling, almost as if the input shaft has broken (far fetched and not likely since this vehicle has almost never been used for anything other than pavement). I think the attached file downloads into your download directory, at least that's what it did when I tried to open it.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Johnny thorn

If the flexplate were broken, would the engine still turn over with the starter? Looking at how the flexplate makes its connection to the engine output, it looks like they break at the inner section between the ring gear and engine output.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:30 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure its the transmission and not a busted transfer case or the rear diff. If the spider gears strip it wont move and might have acted up on turns before it finally went.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Johnny thorn

Rev, Neutral, Drive have no impact on the sound or drive train movement but it is certainly among the things I will look at tomorrow (happy holiday!) while I'm troubleshooting. Thanks for the tip. At this time I'm leaning toward either a failed torque converter or possibly the flexplate

Old 12-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Chris Radley

Originally Posted by Johnny thorn
Greetings! My question today; I was accelerating from a traffic light when the tranny disengaged. It remains unresponsive to drive and reverse and now makes a whirring sound (mp3 audio attached) that changes pitch with engine speed and runs-on for a couple of seconds after engine has stopped. Can someone confirm that this is a fluid pump failure or torque converter, or something else? Thanks in advance, and may your holiday be better spent than dropping a tranny :-)

I had the exact same thing happen to me (2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4) about 9 months ago coming off the line from a stop light and I ended up stripping the inner torque converter splines as well as flatten the transmission input shaft splines.

You will most likely need new front input shaft, $100 bucks from RockAuto and a new or rebuil torque converter $200-$ 300 from Rock Auto plus fluid, filters and pan gasket or just find a good used 545rfe and swap out the whole transmission.

I ended up finding a local transmission in good shape w/converter for $250 and swapped out the transmissions in my driveway. It was a pain in the *** if your doing it by yourself like I did but it’s very much doable.

Good luck.

Chris

Old 12-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Johnny thorn

Originally Posted by Chris Radley

I had the exact same thing happen to me (2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4x4) about 9 months ago coming off the line from a stop light and I ended up stripping the inner torque converter splines as well as flatten the transmission input shaft splines.

You will most likely need new front input shaft, $100 bucks from RockAuto and a new or rebuil torque converter $200-$ 300 from Rock Auto plus fluid, filters and pan gasket or just find a good used 545rfe and swap out the whole transmission.

I ended up finding a local transmission in good shape w/converter for $250 and swapped out the transmissions in my driveway. It was a pain in the *** if your doing it by yourself like I did but it’s very much doable.

Good luck.

Chris

That makes good sense, especially after everything I have come across today. I was hoping that the input shaft would be saved though. I will probably drop it Christmas or day after and see what I find. Thanks for the lead

Old 01-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Johnny thorn

So just a quick update;
I pulled the tranny, pulled the torque converter and found that the TC stator is destroyed but all splines are intact. However after removing the TC I also found that the stator shaft to the tranny is frozen. I'm not planning to rebuild, now looking for a tranny from salvage

Old 01-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Chris Radley

Did you remove the transmission completely?

The front stator input shaft will not turn if in neutral and back tires still on the ground. If completely removed from truck you should be able to put tranny in neutral via the shift arm and turn the outer most smaller stator shaft on the transmission and it should turn but may not be super easy to turn by hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission failure 2005 1500 4x4