DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Cluster Issue (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/420743-2002-dodge-ram-1500-cluster-issue.html)

Onyxhammer 01-08-2019 05:48 PM

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Cluster Issue

Hello Dodge Forum,

I have been working on a friends 1500 for quite some time now fixing a laundry list of items, the final item that I have to resolve is the following:

1.) The truck will start/run and you can drive it anywhere you want to go, the problem is that there is no cluster at all
2.) The cluster has zero working gauges, lights, or odometer
a.) This cluster does not pass the "sweep test"
3.) I have taken the the fuse box apart and cleaned all of the connectors on the bottom side of the fuse box
4.) I have reseated the connections on the back of the instrument cluster itself
5.) All of the fuses are good to go, I actually had zero blown fuses
6.) Truck truck has no codes when I put it on my scanner
7.) I do however have a red glowing security light on the cluster which indicates that it is receiving some sort of power

I've been doing the best research I can on this issue and at the moment it appears that I may have a bad cluster (if I missed some troubleshooting steps please let me know).

Questions:
1.) Is it possible to swap a cluster out of another truck?
a.) If it is possible, will I need to have it reprogrammed by my local Dodge dealer so it recognizes the correct VIN/mileage
b.) I have access to a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with an identical looking cluster (same trim levels on the truck as far as I know, is this compatible for the swap)?
2.) If its not possible to use the cluster from another truck, are there any *large online retailer* clusters that offer programming any good or would this best to purchase directly from the dealer (original quote is about 3x the price, trying to avoid that if possible)
3.) If there is a known issue with the cluster itself (such as poor soldering) does anyone have any write-up to which modules need fixed (I can add solder/fix it if necessary)

Thanks greatly for any of your feedback, I'll be doing my best to check this post frequently as its not one of my more commonly visited forums but I have had no success with this particular cluster/issue.

HeyYou 01-08-2019 08:04 PM

Pretty much any matching cluster should work. Don't know if it would have to be programmed. Not like you can read the mileage anyway..... :D

Onyxhammer 01-08-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3424985)
Pretty much any matching cluster should work. Don't know if it would have to be programmed. Not like you can read the mileage anyway..... :D

Yea I wasnt positive as I know some vehicles need to be programmed with the VIN so the cluster VIN matches the computer, wasnt sure if this was also the case.

MoparFanatic21 01-10-2019 01:04 PM

Cluster will have to be programmed with mileage and VIN. It will work but eventually will stop because of the mismatch VIN.

Onyxhammer 01-10-2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3425184)
Cluster will have to be programmed with mileage and VIN. It will work but eventually will stop because of the mismatch VIN.

Any idea roughly what the reprogramming service will cost? Any sort of ballpark will do.

MoparFanatic21 01-10-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Onyxhammer (Post 3425189)
Any idea roughly what the reprogramming service will cost? Any sort of ballpark will do.

$30 - $80 USD depending on your location. Even cheaper if you find a Mom and Pop shop that can do it.

Onyxhammer 01-10-2019 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3425190)
$30 - $80 USD depending on your location. Even cheaper if you find a Mom and Pop shop that can do it.

That'd be perfect! I was hoping it'd be less than $100 USD, I'll start calling the local shops to see who can do it for me and get some more local/accurate pricing so once that cluster shows up tomorrow I can finally get this truck out of my shop, I've got other projects waiting.

3rdgens4sell 01-10-2019 03:48 PM

There is a soldering issue i know of on 06 models. My tach quit working so i read that people have taken the cluster out and loosen the screws. So people have shimmed the board but loosening screws worked for me. My dad swapped a cluster and never had it reprogrammed it hasnt had any problems from it, going on 2 years now.

MoparFanatic21 01-10-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Onyxhammer (Post 3425191)
That'd be perfect! I was hoping it'd be less than $100 USD, I'll start calling the local shops to see who can do it for me and get some more local/accurate pricing so once that cluster shows up tomorrow I can finally get this truck out of my shop, I've got other projects waiting.

Originally Posted by 3rdgens4sell (Post 3425209)
There is a soldering issue i know of on 06 models. My tach quit working so i read that people have taken the cluster out and loosen the screws. So people have shimmed the board but loosening screws worked for me. My dad swapped a cluster and never had it reprogrammed it hasnt had any problems from it, going on 2 years now.

Here is what I know for sure. I forgot what years they changed it but the mileage is stored in the cluster and it needs to be flashed to the right mileage or if is against the law. Now when I was a Dodge Tech it is when changing them the Vin had to be flashed or it will lose communication. I never didn't flash then so that could just be Chrysler wanted to get more money, I personally don't know.

Onyxhammer 01-18-2019 12:47 PM

Changed the cluster from the working truck - it shows the mileage of the original truck (understandable) but the security system is currently locked out so the truck won't start (also understandable) but I do know that the new cluster does work.

Called 4 Dodge Dealerships and all of them claimed they cannot perform any of the flashing and I would be required to purchase a new cluster so the factory can program the cluster with the correct VIN/Mileage. So that's fun.

I guess it's back to square one.