3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 ram 1500 peanut butter colored gunk filler cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:59 PM
mrxcntrk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 03 ram 1500 peanut butter colored gunk filler cap

I have an 02 Ram Sport 1500 4.7 L around 150,000 miles. Have the peanut butter colored gunk under the oil filler cap and in the throat of the tube like I have seen talked about in other threads? I am not trying to do a repeat here but I also have a couple of other weird problems mixed in with it.

I lose coolant once in a while. I lost not quite a gallon a few months ago. Now today I have been about a quart low on coolant. There has been no overheating and no spots under the truck. I also lose about a quart of oil a month.

According to the Durango thread which Google found and lead me here, there is a replacement filler cap and or possibly some kind of "baffle"; to be put under the valve covers. This is supposed to eliminate moisture build-up under the filler cap. I live in South Texas on the Gulf of Mexico so it is humid, but the temperatures are normally high. Even this winter I have spent almost every day in short sleeves and shorts as it is warm. As others mentioned in the Durango thread I do short trips under fifteen miles each way a few times a week. I am a truck driver, sort of local I guess as I am out a few nights a week so the truck does not make runs both ways most days of the week. Most runs when I am home are six miles or so. These short trips accordingly do not get the truck running hot enough to burn off the moisture that accumulates. Everywhere I have seen this problem they say "milky". Mine is milky as well but it has a sort of peanut butter color to it and I have not found anyone mentioning anything like that.

At home and at work on the concrete there are no spots and I have gone as far at home and at work to put cardboard under the truck to try and catch leaks, nothing ever found. Doing a visual and physical wipe wherever I can reach around the motor just road grime, no oil, and no antifreeze.

I may just be having three separate issues going on here but before I dig in and or pay to have this addressed I really would like to have an idea s to what is going on.

Thanks for reading
mrxcntrk

Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like bad head gasket or cracked head,,drain the oil and see if its cloudy with coolant mixed in which when called milky can look brownish as well from rust ,,sometimes you will get white smoke out exhaust but depends on leak,,I would at least check the oil system for coolant being mixed in,,if oil is clean is the bigger issue,,is the oil on dipstick showing the brownish or milky issue ?

Last edited by 72rtchallenger; 03-28-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
mrxcntrk

Thank you 72rtchallenger for your reply.

That is sort of what I thought the first time I saw it. Problem is the oil is on the dipstick is clean and the coolant is clean as well. Also, there has not been any smoke whatsoever. These are the reasons I started looking online and found this place. It's got me baffled and my fellow shade-trees along with some of my pro friends haven't a clue. It doesn't have any other problems that I know of. She runs smoothly except for a little tiny bit rough once in a while, nothing serious more like a little bit of a flutter and not very often. No overheating either, no tapping, no clicking nothing indicating any type of problem. And that's why I am here looking for some help.

Although it seems that I am not going to get very much. I posted this four days ago and your the first person that has even chimed in. I guess it is not interesting enough, or no one had a clue as to what is going on. WHat's weird is on other forums (not automotive) folks always chime in with the OMG it's the end of the world scenarios or at least to say your nutz or something. Here it is like there is no one on and paying attention,don't talk to the new guy with first post or ??? I don't know. I guess I just expected a little more. I mean a forum that managed to get "DodgeForum.com" when it was available seems to me like it has been around for awhile so it should have lots of members. I guess I need to cruise around some of the other posts here and get an idea about the activity level. If this place is dead and dying I guess I am going to have t start looking elsewhere for some help.

It's sort of sad that Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc are killing the forums. Except for the older crowd (Mostly) who are not into all of that stuff, forums seem to be dying all over the net.

Thanks again 72rtchallenger

Sincerely
mrxcntrk

Old 03-29-2019, 01:57 PM
99DR
Rookie

If the truck still runs well, and shows no signs of a blown head gasket, I'd point to condensation. I see it all the time, on all of my cars, and wipe it off when I change the oil.

Originally Posted by mrxcntrk
Thank you 72rtchallenger for your reply.

That is sort of what I thought the first time I saw it. Problem is the oil is on the dipstick is clean and the coolant is clean as well. Also, there has not been any smoke whatsoever. These are the reasons I started looking online and found this place. It's got me baffled and my fellow shade-trees along with some of my pro friends haven't a clue. It doesn't have any other problems that I know of. She runs smoothly except for a little tiny bit rough once in a while, nothing serious more like a little bit of a flutter and not very often. No overheating either, no tapping, no clicking nothing indicating any type of problem. And that's why I am here looking for some help.

Although it seems that I am not going to get very much. I posted this four days ago and your the first person that has even chimed in. I guess it is not interesting enough, or no one had a clue as to what is going on. WHat's weird is on other forums (not automotive) folks always chime in with the OMG it's the end of the world scenarios or at least to say your nutz or something. Here it is like there is no one on and paying attention,don't talk to the new guy with first post or ??? I don't know. I guess I just expected a little more. I mean a forum that managed to get "DodgeForum.com" when it was available seems to me like it has been around for awhile so it should have lots of members. I guess I need to cruise around some of the other posts here and get an idea about the activity level. If this place is dead and dying I guess I am going to have t start looking elsewhere for some help.

It's sort of sad that Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc are killing the forums. Except for the older crowd (Mostly) who are not into all of that stuff, forums seem to be dying all over the net.

Thanks again 72rtchallenger

Sincerely
mrxcntrk

Old 03-29-2019, 04:25 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would double check by changing the oil and see what it looks like from oil pan , if clean then its probably just condensation , check pcv and make sure its working as it can cause oil consumption , then coolant could be number of things causing it to get low , is the carpet getting wet on inside as could be heater core , even water pump could be seeping out weep hole and not see leak,,just need to search all possibility

Quick Reply: 03 ram 1500 peanut butter colored gunk filler cap