DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   high idle after hitting water puddle on roadway (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/423187-high-idle-after-hitting-water-puddle-on-roadway.html)

kevaug 05-07-2019 12:09 AM

high idle after hitting water puddle on roadway

Hi All - 2004 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 MANUAL Tran with 4.7L
we had some major rain and flash flooding.
It was dark and I couldnt see very well and hit a puddle that came up to my step rails. Needless to say it threw and stuffed my truck pretty bad.
Shortly thereafter my RPMs were idling around 1500 and if I pressed the clutch in it went up to 3000 rpms.
Any idea on what could have got wet or disconnected going through this huge puddle?

I disconnected the battery hoping to "reset" the computer as no DTC codes were displayed other than a P0563 (Battery/Syetem Voltage High) which I had to hunt for as the CEL was NOT on. I reconnected battery and took it for a test drive and the CEL came on with a P0068 (MAP/MAF -throttle position correlation).
So could the blast of water somehow ruin my TPS? or maybe a vacuum hose was detached?
Any thoughts?

it idles at a stop in neutral at 1500 rpms if I put it in neutral and roll down my driveway the rpm's are 3000+ until I come to a stop and then they reduce to 1500 again. With it moving in gear it runs lower than 3K based on the gear its in. When I shift with the clutch in it ramps up to 3K as well.

Im assuming alot of water hit the engine as I found a dried out earth worm by one of my coil packs while attempting to dry out connectors.

Thanks

HeyYou 05-07-2019 08:31 AM

Need to plug in with a scanner, and see what the TPS is telling the PCM. Also, I think I would make sure the map/maf (whichever one you happen to have.....) is plugged in appropriately. Does your truck use both?? (that seems kinda redundant....)

kevaug 05-07-2019 10:11 AM

Hi - yes I think it uses both the MAP & MAF. There is a sensor inside my big black "air diverter" box right after the connection from the air filter box snorkle hose. Its blue and looks like a little capacitor. The MAP sensor I believe is located on the front of the intake manifold between the AC & ALT. The TPS is on the right hand side of my throttle body and I believe the IAC is below that.

I did remove all connectors I could reach and blow them out with compressed air and then spray them with CRC electronics cleaner and then put some dielectric grease on them. But no change in high idle.

I have a scan tool so I will go out and run the truck with it and see what I can come up with. I only read the code it set. I will then erase them and see if it pops up again.

Truck was fine until I hit the huge puddle. Not sure where all the vacuum lines are that I can visually check and then maybe spray some starter fluid or carb cleaner at them.

Is there a manual idle control adjustment anywhere on this truck? What could the water have destroyed? I hit the puddle only at 20mph because I was taking a left in 50 feet but it was deep and threw alot of water.

HeyYou 05-07-2019 10:32 AM

Could be anything, if the water got deep enough to get into the fan, it gets tossed EVERYWHERE. :)

have a look at tps at idle, and also airflow via map, and maf. (MAP is manifold absolute pressure, MAF is mass air-flow) Why it uses both is a mystery to me.....

Edit: Also, just for giggles, see what the PCM thinks engine RPM is.

kevaug 05-07-2019 11:06 AM

Live Data as follows

PCM indicates idle RPMs around 1500 which is what gauge cluster indicates and engine sounds like

MAP @ idle is approx 10 inHg, when I give it throttle it goes up and then comes down past 10 and then settles back at 10

TPS @ idle is 11%, when I give it throttle it went to 14, then I gave it throttle and it didnt register any movement, did it a few more times - once up to 24, and 27 and a couple of times it did not register on the live data when I hit throttle - just stayed at 11 (maybe I just cant gun the accelerator and have to do it in a more gradual fashion?)

I erased the codes

HeyYou 05-07-2019 01:59 PM

Yeah, I don't know how often your scanner updates..... the cheaper ones tend to be slow to react.... what you can do is, check it with the engine OFF. Slowly press the gas pedal all the way to the floor, see what TPS does.

kevaug 05-07-2019 02:43 PM

Live Data as follows

PCM indicates idle RPMs around 1500 which is what gauge cluster indicates and engine sounds like

MAP @ idle is approx 10 inHg, when I give it throttle it goes up and then comes down past 10 and then settles back at 10

TPS @ idle is 11%, when I give it throttle it went to 14, then I gave it throttle and it didnt register any movement, did it a few more times - once up to 24, and 27 and a couple of times it did not register on the live data when I hit throttle - just stayed at 11 (maybe I just cant gun the accelerator and have to do it in a more gradual fashion?)

I erased the codes

kevaug 05-07-2019 02:48 PM

Hmmm thats odd my post with my RPM, MAP, and TPS readings vanished then the system asked if I wanted to auto restore it.

Anyway I had pulled the TPS off the truck and ohm-ed it out using a DVM (used a screwdriver to actuate it). It ranged from 500 to 6,000 ohms.

I will put it back together and take it for a little drive and then I want to put it on some ramps to see if I can see any vacuum lines coming off of the back of the manifold.
Not sure how feasible that is with room and visibility.

kevaug 05-07-2019 03:01 PM

Also I was wrong. There is NO MAF, what I thought was the MAF is actually the intake manifold air temp sensor

kevaug 05-07-2019 04:41 PM

what would make the RPMs go up as the truck is in neutral and rolling vs the truck in neutral and stationary?