DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   MAP Sensor bolt STUCK - any ideas (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/423346-map-sensor-bolt-stuck-any-ideas.html)

kevaug 05-14-2019 02:51 PM

MAP Sensor bolt STUCK - any ideas

Hi - I was trying to replace my MAP sensor on my 2004 Ram 1500 4.7L

I cleaned out the torx recess with a wire brush & sprayed the bolt down with liquid wrench. I used a T15 torx bit with a low profile ratchet set and it fit perfectly in the limited space that there is between the bolt head and AC compressor. Needles to say I stripped the T15 torx. head. I am confused as the housing it sits in is molded plastic - I assume it is lined with a metal thread and most have corrosion.

So today I took my dremel and cut a slot for a flat blade screwdriver. It fit well. I used liquid wrench and PB Blaster. I cannot budge this tiny bolt.
The screwdriver is at a slight angle due to the mounting leg of the AC compressor.

Would it be OK to dremel out a little arch in the AC mounting leg so the screwdriver can be more head on? Or do you think I should remove the belt and then remove
the 3 AC mounting bolts and move the compressor a bit. Not sure how much wiggle room I will get with hoses still connected and oil fill tube right next to it.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Kev

HeyYou 05-14-2019 03:03 PM

Why not take the throttle body off, and work on it on the bench??

kevaug 05-14-2019 03:15 PM

Unfortunately its not on the throttle body - its on the front of the manifold down between the AC compressor and ALT.
Just above the ECT sensor.

The TPS and IAC are on the throttle body and they were easy to get off but they used a T25 torx.

HeyYou 05-14-2019 03:22 PM

Can you unbolt the a/c compressor, and just move it out of the way a bit?

kevaug 05-14-2019 04:06 PM

Probably - thats what I was attempting - naturally I got 2 bolts loose but the 3rd is being difficult.
Man if bolts came out easy car repair would be a lot easier & quicker!

fj5gtx 05-14-2019 07:01 PM

The trick I've been using for a couple decades is what I call light tapping. Get yourself a narrow brass drift and just start tapping the head of that bolt. Spraying penetrating oil every so often. Might take a solid15 minutes or so, but it should come out. Takes a pile of patience, but I more often than not have success. It works by vibrating the rusty connection and letting the oil get into the mix.

kevaug 05-14-2019 08:58 PM

Thanks for the light tapping idea. That gives me some hope for tomorrow! I'll let you know how I make out, Not sure if I have brass drifts or not but I do have
a small punch set. It indicates it was for gunsmiths so the punches are fairly small but I do think they are steel.

fj5gtx 05-14-2019 09:06 PM

Have to be very careful you don't just destroy the bolt with the punch, that is why I recommend brass...

kevaug 05-15-2019 08:08 AM

Ok I will get a brass punch. So if I understand you correctly - you hit the bolt head straight on lightly for several minutes reapplying the loosening oil.
Do you ever attempt to hit the side of the bolt head in a counter clockwise direction to try and see if you can move it?

HeyYou 05-15-2019 08:18 AM

Nope. Just tap straight down. The idea is to vibrate the bolt, so, the chems can penetrate to the threads, where they will do the most good. On some, it just doesn't matter, as the shank of the bolt is pretty long, and the chems will never get down to the threads. One of the problems with steel bolts, going into aluminum......