DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Hiccup issue (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/423360-hiccup-issue.html)

FlWinger 05-15-2019 08:35 AM

Hiccup issue

Thanks for allowing me to join!! I have a ‘04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi. Truck has a remanufactured engine with about 20K miles, body has 206K.
The other night it hiccuped a couple times at about 35mph. When I decelerated for a stop light, it quit running. I coasted into a parking lot and attempted to restart it and it would only crank. I gave the fuel tank a couple of good smacks and it fired right up. The check engine light stayed on but wasn’t flashing so I drove it home, about 25 miles. It did hiccup a few more times along the way but didn’t quit again. The cruise control wouldn’t work and it never shifted into overdrive the whole way. I pulled the codes when I got home and they were PO300 and PO335. Reset the codes, cruise light worked again, test drove it and cruise and overdrive worked fine.

Still getting a hiccup every once in a while but no check engine light yet. Have put about 300 miles on it since the incident.

Wanted some input before I pull the tank and look for a possible fuel pump/filter issue. Any input is greatly appreciated.

HeyYou 05-15-2019 02:20 PM

Check fuel pressure. See what you are getting.

The P0335 code is for the crank sensor, and that will certainly make the truck run funny, or not at all. Is it the original sensor? Or was it replaced along with the engine? (Generally, the replacement engine doesn't come with any sensors at all.....)

FlWinger 05-15-2019 09:17 PM

Hiccup issue

I don’t have a pressure gauge. I have to pull the fuel tank to replace the tank straps so I am going to change the pump assembly while I am that far into it. Hoping it cures the issue. We put a new sensor in when we changed the engine. I will post what I find once the job is done. Have to wait for it to stop raining here first😡 Thanks for your input.

fj5gtx 05-16-2019 06:28 AM

If banging on the tank fixes the problem (and not just coincidence), then your pump needs to be replaced.

FlWinger 05-20-2019 05:34 PM

Crank Sensor situation

So we have narrowed the Hiccup issue down to a probable bad crank sensor. Fuel pressure is fine, injectors and all cylinders firing fine. I have a Bully Dog tuner on the truck so I went thru the sequence of removing the tune and putting it back to stock for a try.

Truck starts right up but shuts down periodically. It threw code PO335 and the Red Lightning Bolt came on once but went back out and hasn’t came back on since.

When we replaced the engine, the remanufactured engine did not have the crank position sensor down by the starter. It was on top of the engine behind the intake. We built a harness to extend the wires to that location and everything has worked fine for 20K miles. Anybody know why the sensor would not be in the normal position??