DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   A/C question (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/424104-a-c-question.html)

moldmaker70 06-21-2019 01:33 PM

A/C question

So yesterday my a/c decided to not blow cold at all. Figuring that all it needed was a shot of freon since the clutch was coming on and didn't shut off. I hooked up the bottle and the gauge is reading in the red between 60 and 150. Where should I start? I have never done anything to the system except a little freon once a summer. Thanks for your help.

jrsick 06-21-2019 02:11 PM

Is your radiator condenser fan coming on?
Do you hear a click when the relay turns on the compressor?
Your gauge reads in the red, is that very low or very high on your gauge?

moldmaker70 06-21-2019 04:54 PM

Yes, everything seems to come on like it should. I have one of those gauges that come on the freon can. It reads that it has plenty of freon as I understand it.

jrsick 06-21-2019 08:46 PM

Generally a red reading on any gauge is bad.
You will not get cool air if the ac system is overcharged.

primem 06-21-2019 09:01 PM

a low charge symptom is short cycling. compressor not shutting off is not a low charge symptom.

feel the metal hoses as they near the firewall...the large diameter hose/low pressure side should be cold and the high side hose should be hot.

-verify the temp blend doors in the dash are moving from hot to cold.

moldmaker70 06-21-2019 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by primem (Post 3443183)
a low charge symptom is short cycling. compressor not shutting off is not a low charge symptom.

feel the metal hoses as they near the firewall...the large diameter hose/low pressure side should be cold and the high side hose should be hot.

-verify the temp blend doors in the dash are moving from hot to cold.

I tried turning the temp and it's so hot I cannot tell if it is changing temp or not. Also i guess that o better get some of that freon out of the system.

primem 06-22-2019 10:22 AM

feel the lines like I suggested...if they are hot and cold...the problem is more likely in the blend doors. if they are near the same temp...its an ac performance problem not the doors

66three83 06-22-2019 10:45 AM

Condenser fan.

jrsick 06-22-2019 04:43 PM

I have two of those a/c Freon gauges from different manufacturers. Being in red on both of them is dangerous and in "alert" range.
Is it possible that you overcharged your a/c system?
Your Freon level may have been fine, and actual problem was something else like blend door, condenser fan, or faulty relay

moldmaker70 06-22-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by primem (Post 3443226)
feel the lines like I suggested...if they are hot and cold...the problem is more likely in the blend doors. if they are near the same temp...its an ac performance problem not the doors

Both lines at the firewall are the same temp to the touch.