DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Engine Swap 4.7 to ? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/430354-engine-swap-4-7-to.html)

Magnoom 05-09-2020 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros (Post 3480456)
Typically 4.7s go bad when not taken care of lol. Clearly you have taken care of yours Magnoom :icon_teeth:

I don't have a 4.7 (reread). I was responding to his "I wouldn’t settle for the 5.7 because I’ve seen many 03 to 05 hemis loose oil pump and trash engine" with "loose" oil pumps LOL (ironically it isn't oil pump issues that 03-05 hemis were ever known for).

Alex Medeiros 05-10-2020 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Magnoom (Post 3480460)
I don't have a 4.7 (reread). I was responding to his "I wouldn’t settle for the 5.7 because I’ve seen many 03 to 05 hemis loose oil pump and trash engine" with "loose" oil pumps LOL (ironically it isn't oil pump issues that 03-05 hemis were ever known for).

Ahhhhh I see. My bad lmao

Lonewolfwd 05-14-2020 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros (Post 3480456)
Typically 4.7s go bad when not taken care of lol. Clearly you have taken care of yours Magnoom :icon_teeth:

Mine was taken care of but when you blow a radiator in the middle of a construction zone with concrete barricades on both sides of you and you can't pull off or stop and have to drive to get where you can then bingo bamo you know what happens.

I had to put another motor in and got one from a salvage yard and went back with the 4.7 but I have a problem I can't get solved. The motor had been rebuilt not to long ago as it had all the markings from the machine shop on everything and it has the new style head gaskets on it and the bearings look like they are new as did all the seals. It came out of an 02 so we had to change the reluctor ring and used my intake and pan put all new gaskets and seals back in the only thing we didn't do was remove the heads. The truck has a new radiator, heater core, water pump, thermostat and stuff. We filled it up with antifreeze just like your supposed to through the allen plug and topped everything off and burped it but it still over heats. I have done everything I can think of but to no avail I just can't figure out what the problem could be. I have never had a Dodge give me problems like this before when trying to burp one but I have no idea what else to do other then a stick of dynamite in the radiator.

HeyYou 05-14-2020 07:47 PM

Sometimes, air will get trapped under the thermostat, and coolant want circulate properly until the 'stat has cycled a couple times.......

Frank Guerra 05-17-2020 01:52 AM

Motor swap

Hi I needed to put my two cents in..I have a 06 ram 1500 it had a 4.7. plus I have a 03 Dodge Dakota with 4.7..i am overhauling the 4.7.. it's been bored out . But that's not the reason I am putting this..my friend had drop of a 5.9 at my house an said here have fun.so I installed it in my 1500.two or three vdays later I was bored so I just took it out an I put it in my 03 Dakota.lol.thevwork wasn't hard .yes I had to put a different transmission..and wire harness.my question where can I find on line where I can find a diagram of the wire.there is a harness that is missing off of mine...
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...04758e1d66.jpg
This part is right after the injectors plugs.

Lonewolfwd 05-25-2020 03:58 PM

Got my problem figured out, the new thermostat was bad. I had bought another one and tried it and bleed the system like normal and have been driving it for a week now with no problems.

95RAM360 05-25-2020 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Magnoom (Post 3480460)

I work in a shop. I just say what I’ve actually had to deal with. I didn’t say every one had problems. But I work on cars, trucks, Atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, anything with an engine. I’ve worked on vehicles for 15 years. How much experience do you have with other hemis besides yours? Have you worked on about 500 different dodge trucks just in past 5 years? Have you worked at a dodge dealership? Do you have Chrysler certifications? I have and do, and I am just reporting FACTS that I’ve seen/done....your 1 truck doesn’t make them all great

Magnoom 05-26-2020 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by 95RAM360 (Post 3482024)
I work in a shop. I just say what I’ve actually had to deal with. I didn’t say every one had problems. But I work on cars, trucks, Atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, anything with an engine. I’ve worked on vehicles for 15 years. How much experience do you have with other hemis besides yours? Have you worked on about 500 different dodge trucks just in past 5 years? Have you worked at a dodge dealership? Do you have Chrysler certifications? I have and do, and I am just reporting FACTS that I’ve seen/done....your 1 truck doesn’t make them all great

Maybe....but you're also the one who thought the 360 ended in 2002....just sayin....I've been a military mechanic for almost 30yrs....however my 1 truck, my 4 LX's, my 5 friend's LX's plus several more Rams of varying years of the various places I've been stationed, plus reading what is reported in both engineering assessments, TSB's, etc and what people on these forums online have been reporting since 2005 tells me; you silly Mainahs can't take of your sh!t, since the rest of the country manages to LMAO.

Dodgevity 05-26-2020 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lonewolfwd (Post 3480957)
Mine was taken care of but when you blow a radiator in the middle of a construction zone with concrete barricades on both sides of you and you can't pull off or stop and have to drive to get where you can then bingo bamo you know what happens. I had to put another motor in and got one from a salvage yard and went back with the 4.7 but I have a problem I can't get solved.

That sucks, man. I'm glad you got the overheat situation worked out on the new motor.

I stupidly overheated mine 8 hours from home, with the truck loaded to the hilt... inside and out. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...the-4-7-a.html

Was moving my daughter back home from university (pic below at the end of my journey).. The only free room was for me in the driver's seat.

The only thing that saved the motor from destruction was the fact that I stopped to air up tires. The small bit of coolant left was actually boiling. Refilled the coolant then proceeded to beat the crap out of it for 8 hours, with the needle still high, till it bled out the air at highway speeds. Anyone that tells me the 4.7L isn't tough doesn't know what they're talking about. I've also had the 5.9L in an earlier gen Dak and now the 4.7L. Loved em both and both have lasted over 300K. The 5.9 is still running around somewhere in Florida but has needed a few trannys. I'm still on the original. Engines need to be kept filled with decent oil and coolant. Take care of all the other stuff as it pops up. It's as simple as that.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...3159f886d8.jpg