3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilt 02 9.25 rear got 200 miles on it safe to say I知 in the clear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 AM
Stone Norton
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilt 02 9.25 rear got 200 miles on it safe to say I知 in the clear?

02 ram 1500 pinion nut came off a few weeks ago while I was driving and the rear locked up, so I rebuild it and put new bearings and spicer gears in it. I知 pretty good mechanically but I had never done a rear before, I set the backlash to .004 it was between 005-007 on most of the gear but in one spot on one tooth it read .004 I set the preload to about 20 in lbs on the pinion and set the carrier bearings to spec.

ive got 200 miles on it so far and it seems good, slight gear noise when I知 engine braking but by slight I mean nobody would hear it if you weren稚 listening. So am I likely good with it? I had troubke with the gear marking compound I had and couldn稚 get more in a timely manner but everything seemed good. I知 just nervous because it痴 my work truck and I can稚 work without it

the one problem is the thrust washers on the spider gears one was about ate up so I had to put it back in without one of them. Because I couldn稚 get new ones without waiting a week and I couldn稚 stay out of work anymore I spent most of the money I had on the gears and bearings for it but as soon as the washer gets here it痴 going in

Old 05-12-2021, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

If you are concerned, re-check the pattern with the compound, and see what it looks like.

Good chance you are just being paranoid though. That's a fairly major repair, so, of course you are going to be paying MUCH more attention to ANY noise you hear in the back....... I've fallen into that trap before, and fixed things that were already fixed.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:33 AM
BobK
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with HeyYou, you're prob. fine.
If something wasn't right you'd prob. know it way before the 200 miles.
But as suggested, pop the diff cover off and take a look, just to ease YOUR mind.
Take a close look at the gear lube and your wear pattern.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 02 9.25 rear got 200 miles on it safe to say I知 in the clear?