3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing trans and engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
teufelhunde_98sgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing trans and engine

Hi, My name is Manda and this is my first post on this site. I am looking for some information about changing the engine and trans in my Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4.
It is a 1500, 2003.
My problem is that I am buying a 3 horse slant Sundowner gooseneck trailor. Some people tell me it is not safe to pull that with my truck.
I can not afford a new trailor payment and truck payment. So I am wondering if we can have the engine changed. Or have the transmission rebuilt to handle the trailor.
Does anyone have any idea if this would work? I love my truck, but I also want something that is safe to pull my trailor.

Thank you for any information, Manda

Old 12-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing trans and engine

best thing to do is look for a used diesel,by the time you dump the dough into an engine and trans you could just about buy a good used truck!

Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: teufelhunde_98sgirl

Hi, My name is Manda and this is my first post on this site. I am looking for some information about changing the engine and trans in my Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4.
It is a 1500, 2003.
My problem is that I am buying a 3 horse slant Sundowner gooseneck trailor. Some people tell me it is not safe to pull that with my truck.
I can not afford a new trailor payment and truck payment. So I am wondering if we can have the engine changed. Or have the transmission rebuilt to handle the trailor.
Does anyone have any idea if this would work? I love my truck, but I also want something that is safe to pull my trailor.

Thank you for any information, Manda
It would be cheaper to sell your truck and get one with what you need. If cost is an issue just back a few years older.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 PM
wreckless123
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What motor do you currently have? If it is the 5.7, with a little programming and a trans HD rebuild you should be able to haul just about anything? How often would you be hauling this trailer? Daily, weekley, monthly? If it is the 4.7, I would suggest what everyone else said, trade it in...

Quick Reply: Changing trans and engine