DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   HEMI PROBLEM!!!!!!EVERYONE LOOK!!!!!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/63249-hemi-problem-everyone-look.html)

jtotin 06-24-2006 09:08 PM

HEMI PROBLEM!!!!!!EVERYONE LOOK!!!!!!

This is my 2003 dodge Ram HEMI Short box, 36.003 miles.
After a good encounter with an injector malfuntion. gotta love that 7-70 powertrain......
specially since i work at a dealer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24877/1056D5E07928445FA7CAA7EF5F02B092.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24877/634078C1F7BC45F2988450A376286A1C.jpg[/IMG]

Gone Fishin 06-24-2006 09:14 PM

RE: HEMI PROBLEM!!!!!!EVERYONE LOOK!!!!!!

DETAILS.....DETAILS!!!!!! Pictures are worth a thousand words, but tell us what the injector problem was-----please!!!!!!!!!!!!

nos4fuel 06-24-2006 09:32 PM

i would like to know what caused this too. Do you think it could have been related to the ethanol content in the gasoline you used? Mine has back fired before and last time (a few days ago) it shot a flame out of the exhaust pipe.

speeddemon145 06-26-2006 02:52 AM

Looks like a cracked head did it overheat before this happened? these aluminum heads crack easy if overheated.

Nicky B 07-01-2006 08:02 PM

Any new info on this problem?

CarGuyOhio 07-01-2006 09:56 PM

LOL, 36,003. Yea, that 7/70 is paying off, sorry 2006 owners....

osteodoc08 07-03-2006 12:08 AM

To me it looks like the injector became clogged, causing a lean condition leading to detonation and kablooey. I did this to my 2-stroke jetski many years ago. A lot simpler to fix the ski than that Hemi, unless you count the dealership doing the work for only $100:D

Gone Fishin 07-03-2006 01:04 PM

Doc,
This is my assumption also.
This brings to light something else I've heard of through a guy at work that had some plugging problems with his injectors. Apparently, rust is being formed in the fuel system, and carried through to the injector screens, causing the plugging. I have been told by a ASE certified mechanic at our shop that this is not an unheard of thing with dodges. The dealer (factory recommended fix) is to replace the fuel rails at a cost of $400.00. It would appear to me that running some Isopropyl Dry Gas (RED BOTTLE) is the preventative to this. Running a can of Sea Foam at each oil change cycle will accomplish the same thing, I HOPE.
I can't understand why D/C is having problems with this. Its not like it new technology. Aluminized steel has gone a long way to solving many of these problems for a long time
now.

I'd really LOVE to hear the details of this destruction, just to know I'm making a right or wrong assumption at this point.

osteodoc08 07-03-2006 05:13 PM

Rust huh?! Interesting. Perhaps an in-line fuel filter is a good idea, just like everyone else has....are you listening DC! Sheesh, you'd think tank and FI problems would be almost obsolete now.[:@]

Gone Fishin 07-03-2006 06:48 PM

I don't believe that an in-line will help as it seems to be happening in the fuel rails. The only thing I think that might help prevent it is to keep as much water out of the fuel as possible. This in-line would work for this if the supply system had a return to the tank, so it was recirculated, but I don't think this engine class uses a pressure regulator at the fuel rail. I'm not certain, please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is why I was suggesting additives to absorb the moisture, and burn it. Once the oxidation starts, it is very difficult to stop due to the fact that the metal finish on the inside of the rail has been broken, and there is always some moisture present in the fuel.
Isopropyl Alchohol is a good means to do this, just have to do it often (once a month--maybe, I'm only guessing at this point. Prevention being better than correction.

I add a can of Seafoam every 3000 miles as a preventative more than anything else.
These days you never know just how fresh the fuel is you are getting, or if the guy that filled it or checked the bulk storage tank at the station replaced the tank lid properly.

I went into the FSM and checked the fuel system out. There is a pressure regulator in the system. It is combined with the fuel filter at the tank. There is no fuel return line from the fuel rails. This means that if the system does pick up a large amount of water, and sends it up to the rails, it may just sit there unless movement in the truck would cause it to be pushed into an injector---hence the rusting. Once again, long standing proven technology to the wind.