3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 AM
haynes1111
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing cig lighter

I want to remove the cig lighter so I can hook up my Syrius radio to its power supply. I can't get it out of the dash. Whats the secret to removing it?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 AM
reindeerman
Rookie
Default RE: Removing cig lighter

You can’t!

Actually you can but it is a pain. First things first. Do you want to remove the lighter assembly completely from the dash, or do you just want to wire into that electrical circuit. To gain access to the lighter you will need to remove the fascia of the center dash panel. Remove the screw above the “hook” on the right lower side of this panel. Then gently pull the panel from the retaining clips. At this point you will see the lighter and many other things still attached to the panel. The connector to the lighter should be obvious. You can disconnect the wiring by releasing the locking clip and pulling it out. If you just need to splice to the wires you are already there.

To actually remove the lighter from the panel will require removal of all of the wiring to the controls attached and then there is a trick to remove the actual lighter assembly. If this is what you are after I will send instructions for that.

There is a special Mopar tool that will remove the lighter assembly from the dash with the other stuff still intact but I don’t know where to find one.

Life can be frustrating sometimes huh?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:39 AM
haynes1111

I just want to tap into its power supply. Is there a easier way to tap into a power source where it will turn on and off similar to the radio, ie on and off while turning the truck on and off with the key?

Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way is the way reindoorman said. Just tap into the cigar lighter wires.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

2 Techs and I couldnt get it figured out either. (I would never have considered these guys 'dumb' either)
The srvc. manual just says "remove power outlet" after removing center dash cover.

But its easy to just tap into the wires after pulling the center stack out.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
haynes1111

Job done easier because of the info. Thanks
Haynes

Old 08-24-2006, 02:01 AM
reindeerman
Rookie

Glad it worked for you.

If anyone wants to know how to remove the lighter assembly from the dash here it is:

The dodge manual says to use external snap ring pliers and locate the retaining tabs inside of the cavity of the lighter assembly – squeeze and “rock” it out. Good luck!

I removed the center panel then removed the A/C control panel from that. I took the panel and turned it upside down across my knees while sitting. I used a deep well socket smaller than the black plastic lighter retainer (one that would fit inside of the end of retainer). I then took a strong plastic mallet and smacked the socket into the end of the retainer and drove the lighter out it’s ***! Worked great and I could then remove the lighter retainer from the dash panel. All parts were reusable with no damage.

I then tried to remove the power socket from below the ash tray. Got lucky on this one and didn’t have to remove that lower panel. I took the cup holder out of the dash and then disconnected the wiring harness from the outlet. I was able to use an “L” shaped brake adjusting tool and brace against the inter part of the dash and pop the socket out of place backwards and then remove the retainer. If all else fails you could remove the panel and do the same as I did to the lighter on the center fascia.

Why would anyone what to do all of this? Well I’m weird. I didn’t like the location of the cig lighter. I wanted to use this to charge my cell phone while on the road. The cord hung across the ash tray and got in my way because my cell was in the center kubby.

My truck did not have an outlet in the armrest console and wanted one there. I removed the lighter and moved it to the location of the power outlet. The original lighter wiring reached to this location. (I wanted this to charge the phone and be switched off with the key so I can just leave the phone charger in the socket all of the time.) I just left the original power outlet plug loose.

I then set out to wire the center armrest console for the extra power outlet that I now had. That was a pain in the butt. I had to remove the upholstery and fabricate a wiring harness and run it through the armrest hinge channel on the passenger side. There was wiring under the drivers seat for the armrest power outlet so I just tapped into that.

Now I had an outlet “blank” plug from the armrest console left over. Just popped it into the dash from where I removed the cig lighter to start with. It has a texture to it that matches the dash panel. Doesn’t look bad.

Some day I will have a need to put a switch for something at the old cig lighter location and I will be ready. I have already installed front fogs and rear auxiliary lights and I used two factory fog light switches (the type that come with the factory fog kits) mounted in the same location as advised by the factory - below the instrument cluster to the left of the steering column. Every thing looks “clean”.

Yeah, I am possessed in some ways. Kinda like some of you guys on here. I keep my vehicles for a long time so a few hours and about five buck in wire stuff is worth it to me.

Quick Reply: Removing cig lighter