DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Ram 1500 Vibration??? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/75480-ram-1500-vibration.html)

sjones208 09-30-2006 05:43 AM

Ram 1500 Vibration???

I recently bought an 06 Ram with hemi and thunderroad pack. I have a pulsing vibration between 55-65 it also occurs lower speed occasionally and higher too (35 and 75)
The first two times I took it in the told me it was wheel balance. I didnt really believe them, seeing as my tires should have been balanced at factory. The insisted since 20 inch wheels they were hard to balance, they had to send it off to get it done. The third time I drove with svc manager, he stated it was due to combination of stiffness in the frame and suspension with the 20 inch wheels. They still claim nothing is wrong with it. Has anyone else experienced this vibration in their truck with the larger wheels?

remi 09-30-2006 02:56 PM

RE: Ram 1500 Vibration???

same exact thing happened to me but mine has the 17s on it.they said it was the wheel balance and that they fixded it but i see no difference.said same thing about the suspension being tighter than the 05-04s.whatever it is it sucks

sjones208 10-01-2006 01:15 PM

Before I bought mine, I asked sales guy to let me take it out on highway, and they refused. Im thinking of calling dodge on lemon law. If this is "just the way the truck drives" they need to let people know before they buy it. does anyone else have this problem?

quickfix27 10-01-2006 01:26 PM

This was from a previous thread posted 9/15/06 - same issues...

I recently purchased a 2006 1500 QC 4x4 with similar issues. Noticeable vibration above 50MPH which got progressively worse above 75MPH to where the passenger seat can e visibly seen jarring back and forth from vibration. Above 80MPH legs would get numb. Returned to the dealer - they balanced and rotated the tires twice to no avail. Dealer suspected flat spot in the tires as well. I had a hard working salesman who personally took my truck to a local goodyear dealer who tested the tires and determined that 2 of 4 tires were defective! They said they would order new tires from Goodyear and it would take 2 weeks before they would come in. I was not about to drive 2 weeks with a numb leg so I told the dealer to keep the truck unitl my truck ran smooth. they swapped out with 2 new 20" tires from their lot - had my truck back the next day...no other issues other than my factory 20" chrome wheels getting scuffed by the dealer after screwing with the wheels for a day and a half. anyway, BLUF - just bad tires and not the drivetrain,etc. just got back from driving 700+ miles last weekend - smooth as butter. hope this helps

06 1500 QC 4x4 Laramie 20" chrome Bright White

seems to be a common problem with the factory goodyears. 2 of my 4 tires were in fact DEFECTIVE - no amount of balancing/rotating will fix the problem. just need the defective tires replaced. i had concerns about the 20" wheel size, suspension, stiffer drivetrain causing the rough ride/vibration as well. This in NOT normal - do not accept is as such b/c the factory ride with proper tires is very smooth. Once the dealer replaced the two defective tires - no problems!!! very smooth ride, better than my wife's land rover!!!

cupcake 10-01-2006 01:44 PM

I think you guys are forgetting that these are cheap american TRUCKS. Its not a MB, or BMW. Every truck I have ever ridden in my entire life has had some type of squeek, vibration, noise, etc. You guys are going to drive yourself nuts trying to make sure your huge truck with huge rims and tires drives like your 80k luxury vehicle.

pungohboy 10-02-2006 09:17 PM

My 06 Ram vibrates also sounds like the same problem. I have had it in 5 times and had 2 tires replaced. I have the 17 inch rims. The dealer tells me it is "normal" Im faxing my service reciepts to a lemon law lawyer tomorrow.

And cupcake if you rode in my truck you would not say it is normal it is not suposed to drive like a car but it also should not vibrate. there are a few posts on this site and others about 06 rams with vibrations.

arrowman 10-03-2006 03:43 AM

Mine doesn't vibrate.

Word on the street around here is that it's an issue with the actual drive shaft...

Pretty sure there was another thread a while back where a few guys had the same problem.... Got the stealership to replace the drive shaft and it went away...

pungohboy 10-03-2006 02:22 PM

Hey Arrow my dealer(s) are at the point they refuse to help me i am going to try today to see if they might could order me a driveshaft.

I really like this truck and dont want a different one but I want it fixed. I have lawyers on standby maby i can pressure them with the L word.

Ram_Sport 10-03-2006 11:56 PM

you are right cupcake these are american vehicles duh! ;) they are trucks and trucks are trucks age gets to em sometime... but these are kick arse luxurious vehicles..

osteodoc08 10-04-2006 12:17 AM

There have been a couple of driveshafts in these trucks. In the early 3rd Gen trucks there was a carrier bearing and a 2 piece driveshaft. These had a TSB for the vibration. I think this was on the 2500+ trucks. My 04 had an Aluminium driveshaft, others have had steel. I don't know if this matters or not. I had no problems with a driveline vibration.

I would try a different dealership as well. Might be able to get more done.