3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ipod with built in CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 11:54 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod with built in CD changer?

So I want to figure out a way to play MP3's with my truck. I've opted out of aftermarket radio, because then I'll lose my steering wheel controls..... so I'm thinking about an iPod. The more I read, the more I find where the adapters out there will not work with the built in 6 disc changers. Has anyone dealt with this? Will it work? Or is there an adapter that works with the 6 disc changer radio? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Ipod with built in CD changer?

semi-curious about that, too, as I'm wierd and actually really like the stock head unit and steering wheel controls, but I think I'd like to be able to hook my ipod up to it, as well.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM
motorhead426
All Star

no one else has a comment on this?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:33 PM
mazz
Veteran

I believe there is quite a bit of confusion on this when it comes to the RBQ radio. The minute you say six-disc changer, or even in-dash changer, aftermarket retailers automatically say, "It won't work."

The ten-pin port on the back of the RBQ radio is not used in its stock setup, even with the Infinity System. It is that ten-pin port that a remote CD changer would plug into, or where an aftermarket adapter for an iPod would plug into. As long as that port is not used, you should be able to utilize an adapter to operate your iPod.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:28 AM
bmxox
Professional

From what I understand from your post is you want to be able to use the 6disk changer and the ipod. If that is correct, get an fm transmitter that mounts to the ipod and you simply tune into the radio station it broadcasts. I have 4 friends that bought these, and honestly 2 of them work great, and the other 2 have problems with them. But if you dont want to use them both, which I dont see why you would since you can put all the cds on the ipod, then get an adapter that goes into the 6disk changer port on the back of the head unit. I got on for christmas and havnt listened to a cd since. Crystal clear sound and I can control the ipod from the radio and even the steering wheel controls. Access to all my songs and playlists. The one I got is made by peripheral electronics and I got it from best buy for $200. Monster and some other brands make the same thing as well at similar prices. But if you go that route, you will definitly lose the cd changer.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 AM
alhughes

I've read a lot about this recently too. My RAM doesn't have a CD Changer, but does have the Disc Up Disc Down buttons on the Radio presets. I plan to install a P.I.E adapter for my i-pod that plugs into the cd changer port on back of the radio. How does one remove the trim so that I can remove the radio?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:41 AM
bmxox
Professional

^^^ you have to remove the panel below the steering wheel right in front of your knees, 2 screws there, then theres a screw near the hanger thing to the right of the center trim and a screw to the left of the trim that was covered by the first panel you removed. then the trim around the radio just pulls off. thats how it was on my 04 1500, assuming your dash is the same as mine its easy. took me less than 15 minutes start to finish to install the adapter.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 AM
alhughes

Sweet! Muchas gracias. Of course, I failed to mention my truck spec's. It's a 2005 RAM Quad Cab SLT. I imagine the dash is similar if not exactly like you described. Raining outside, so can't play with it right now. Truck won't fit in my garage ha ha.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM
motorhead426
All Star

mazz,

Thanks for the info. I had the trim and radio out once this past summer, but couldn't remember if the CD changer plug was in the back. Now I know, and will look closer at getting an iPod.

bmxox,

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of wanting to be able to use the CD player with the iPod, but its something else to consider. Another small bit of info... I have had the trim off around my radio, and not had to remove the panel by the drivers knees. I have an 05 quad cab, and they are the same as any Ram from '02 to '05.

Thanks again guys!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:25 PM
djDaemon

If your port on the back of the unit is used by the changer, you could just ditch it in favor of the iPod. Who needs 700MB disks when you have gigs upon gigs of mp3's?

-A SIDE NOTE-
Why do so many people buy the ipod as opposed to better & less-expensive mp3 players???

Quick Reply: Ipod with built in CD changer?