3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ReGearing cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM
u0061914
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ReGearing cost?

I have an 04 2500 QC Hemi, with 325/65/18s on it and 3.73 gears. Last weekend I towed my car trailer and my 71 Bronco Trail truck on it for the 1st time ( only had the truck for 8 weeks) and I was very disappointed. The truck struggled to pull it well. Anyway, I realize the gearing is my issue and I'm considering regearing. Possibly 4.10s or 4.56s.

I'm wondering what others have paid for this swap in parts and labor?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:15 PM
helopilot
Veteran
Default RE: ReGearing cost?

Parts = 125 - 200 bucks
Labor depending on which part of the country - 400 - 800 per axle

Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

That's nearly a 35" tire plus the weight of the tires and wheelsplus towing. You might want to check into 4:88's but 4:56's will definately improve things for you.
Talk to Jeremy at www.ringpinion.biz
He's a pretty fart smeller........

And for your wallet's sake, use a reputable, specialized rear-end shop or it will bite you in the rear. Check to be sure the gears will fit the housing as well. My 05 8.25required some grinding on the inside of the housing. Be sure to get a master install kit which will add about another $100 to the parts. Make sure also the shop you use understands about indexing the drive shaft which, if it's a rear-end shop, they will. If not, run away! The two (yes two) places I have been to so far did not. This will cause vibrations if they do not index the shaft to the yoke. It should be marked from the factory. Mine has a yellow dot on the shaft and an orange dot on the yoke. You may also need to shim your transmission to change your pinion angle. Indexing my shaft and shimming the tranny about 1/2"reduced my vibrations greatly after the swap. Another thing that helped is to go to a thicker oil. I removed some of the new oil that was put in and installed one-and-a-half bottles (48 oz)of Lucas Oil gear oil. Big difference in noise and smoothness.

So far, since I used a half-a$$ed mechanic the first time, I'm $1000 into mine and the backlash is still not correct. Just giving you a heads up to some of the hell I have been going through.

I finially got a chance to use the gears the other day pulling a 16' trailer with 5' expanded metal sides loaded down with solid steel drums. I was regretting the gear swap due to the hell I have been having with the mechanics until this. Now I'm glad I got them. My little 4.7 just chugged away at 70 with very little gear hunt or problems. The load did make the exhaust roar though.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:56 PM
rotested

Approximately $1000.00 total for parts and labor, just ask around and go to a shop that has done gears before as there is an acquired nack to setting them up properly for smooth, quiet and durable operation.

Quick Reply: ReGearing cost?