3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II

Here's the flowmaster link...

Flowmaster Mufflers

If you just want quiet, then stick with the stock muffler. Your not going to gain much if any fuel economy with an aftermarket, and everything is going to be louder. Just remove the resonator and call it a day.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
DelawareDon
Professional

I found, at least for me, the solution to my dilemma. I went to a custom muffler shop today to inquire about having a set of straight-out-the back duals fabricated. When he found out my truck was an '07, he refused to do it if I insisted on a performance muffler, including any series Flowmaster. He said that he had done several '06 and '07s, and EVERY SINGLE ONE had come back and wanted the stock system put back on.

Why? The sound of the MDS when it changes from 8 to 4 cylinders seemed to be universally hated! He said he would not even do it with the stock muffler retained if the resonator was not also kept as part of the system. The solution? A Y pipe after the stock muffler, with custom fabricated pipes, including a bullet-type resonator in each pipe. The result is a little more rumble under acceleration, but quiet under normal operation so that you can't hear the change in tone when the engine goes from 8 to 4 cylinders. I know it probably is not loud enough for some, but it's just right for me.

The cost? $340 including pipes, hangers, welded joints, 2 bullet resonators, and stainless tips. All in all, I'm a happy camper.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 AM
bigcountry739
Rookie

Sounds like a pretty good setup, where did you get it done at?

Old 11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
DelawareDon
Professional

I had the work done at Bear Muffler, on Route 40, next to Honda East Yamaha, just outside of New Castle.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 PM
rory71

I have the 70 Series Big Block with true duals on my 06 Hemi 4x4. It is not overly loud by any means and it sounds sweet on acceleration. Nice quiet cruising rumble. Factory maniflods & cats, no resonators, straight out the back. $120 for the muffler & $320 to have it installed.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

ORIGINAL: AIR RAM

Keep your STOCK exhaust and just remove your MUFFLER and add a straight pipe in its place. Keep the RESONATOR in place at the tail end (It now becomes your NEW Muffler) and replace your factory "Y" pipe with a HIGH FLOW "Y" pipe... With the money you saved you can put towards a set of headers.

This set up will TRUMP and out perform just about all aftermarket systems. After that you could install an electric DUMP just after the "y" pipe and you will have one of the best performance exhaust systems available. one of the bigest problems with exhaust systems is that too many people go WAY too large for such a little mighty mouse engine. Keep the factory single 3" and just replace the week points.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
This is kind of what ive been looking to do.... i havent decided if i want to remove the muffler or the resonator...
can you explain what exactly you mean by a "high flow y-pipe"?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:29 AM
06ram
Rookie

i've said this many times....the MDS kick-in is not that bad...to tell you the truth i really dont even notice it...any other 06s agree with me??????????

Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

So i got bored today and took my truck up to one of the local exhaust shops and had my muffler removed, but left the resonator on. Since i could find anyone with a sound clip of what this combination sounds like.... here ya go

BEFORE.....

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=P1010572.flv

AFTER.....

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...t=P1010573.flv

Definetly not a bad mod for $35. I think it sounds really good, it does, on the down side, pop when i floor from first to second, but i can live with that

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II