3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lightning bolt flashing truck at idle?? 2003 quad cab ram 5.7 lt.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 PM
bobcat2320
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightning bolt flashing truck at idle?? 2003 quad cab ram 5.7 lt.

The other day going down the road a lighting bolt starting flashing and the gas was acting funny, so I pulled over shut the truck off and started it and it was fine. Took it to Dodge Company they said it was the Air filter which was just changed. So they changed it and a week later it happened again only the gas was doing nothing. I shut it off and then would not start. I had to take the key out of the ignition and then start it and it was fine. Any clues????

Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 AM
bigfrigginbug
Default RE: lightning bolt flashing truck at idle?? 2003 quad cab ram 5.7 lt.

I had a similar indication happen in my O6 5.7 - the manual said it was a warning sign for the Electronic Throttle Control system. A steadily illuminated light indicates a problem, but its still driveable. A flashing light requires attention ASAP.

Mine started flashing as it was idling, and the idle was jerky and rough. When I drove away, there was no throttle response at all - I just idled out. I managed to get back home (obviously hadn't gone far), then shut the engine off and restarted it, and it was fine. There have been no problems since. I was going to start a thread to see if this was a problem out in Hemi land.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
bridogr1

I have had the same thing happen in my 2003 Ram 1500 but it continues to happen. It will only happen once in a day then I won't see it for a while. Like others have mentioned if I just turn the truck off and back on the light goes away. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? I am getting ready to have a mechanic look at it, but I want to know if he is blowing smoke or if he is actually fixing something that might be broke.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
emllik00691

clean your throttle body it happend to my 04 hemi and i fought with the dealer and they ended fixing it for free after they diagnosed it wrong

Old 06-17-2007, 11:36 PM
itsmejto
Amateur

There's a recall for that, needs reprogramming
http://195.125.241.148/support/flyer/fl0804.htm

Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 AM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lightning bolt is limp mode. It puts the truck in a mode that has very little throttle so you can still drive it to the dealer.

Many things will cause that, but I've never heard of the charging system causing it.

With my turbo and tuners, I've set that light many times.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Max00racer
Veteran

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

The lightning bolt has to do with your charging/electrical system. I'd take the alternator off and have it bench tested. Also bench test your battery. Most OEM batteries are good for 3 years or so.
My trucks an 03' and last time I was at the dealer for my rear end they said a cell was bad and they wanted to replace it for like $150. I said no thanks. 4 months later and its still fine.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 AM
marv54

My 04 Ram did the same thing lightning bolt started flashing very little throttle response, I would shut off my truck and would run fine. Lucky for me Im a mechanic and I have a scanning tool, it told me the map sensor voltage was high. Replaced the map sensor and no more problems. From whan i see in this fourm Lots of guys are having the same problem. By no way am i saying that is going to fix your truck it could be any number of things,but it sounds like the same symptoms. Hope this helps ya out!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my '03 Hemi, the only lightning bolt is the ETC. I don'tknow howit has anything to do with a battery. You won't even have a lightning bolt on a 4.7 since they don't have the ETC.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 AM
jcreidler
Default Dodge Ram 1500 2004, Lightning bolt warning light - This is a PROBLEM!

I have been reading several posts about the same subject. My 1500 Ram now has around 120,000 miles and it just SHUTS OFF in transit when it feels like it. I mean total, sudden, loss of power in traffic and DANGEROUS.
I have taken it to several qualified places and no one seems to know what is causing this. It may not happen for months, but it will happen out of the blue again and again.

Last night, coming home from Thanksgiving dinner at friends, the lightning bolt warning sign flashed (which I know means trouble with the electronic throttle again..) and in a busy intersection, I lost all power and had to stop in the intersection. Cops came and eventually a tow truck, because this time, the engine turned over, but it wouldn't start.

It is currently at my service center (they are called Bergeys and they are a HUGE organization who sell/service DODGE vehicles), and I am pretty sure they will replace something and get me going, but they will not be able to fully diagnose the problem. WHY? Because it is a HUGE BLUNDER for Dodge, they can't figure it out, or Dodge just does not want to be responsible for this massive recall! WTF????

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY, CHRYSLER/DODGE!!! CAN'T YOU SEE YOU ARE PUTTING THOUSANDS OF DRIVERS IN DANGER AND YOU ARE GOING TO COST LIVES??????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lightning bolt flashing truck at idle?? 2003 quad cab ram 5.7 lt.