3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0404 code and bad running

Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM
HemiBones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0404 code and bad running

Alright, I have a 04 Ram 1500 SLT Hemi, and I am getting the code P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance. Recently it has been acting sluggish and now there is a very noticable low idle "looping". By that I mean that under 1500 rpm holding the throttle constant, the rpm's drop, then come back up, drop, then come back up and so on. Gas mileage has gone down, and it is starting to affect my normal driving. Anyone know what I can check, or where the EGR even is? Damn Hayne's manual isn't worth the money I paid for it. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: P0404 code and bad running

Most likely what's happened, is the EGR valve is all carboned up inside and is not functioning properly.It's staying open all the time. So when the engine RPMs get low, the continued inflow of exhaust gasses is causing the engine to run lean. The result is stalling, rough idle, and Not good.

Pretty sure you need to change the EGR valve. It is located at the front of the engine, on the passenger side, at the cylinder head.

You can download the Dodge Factory Manual at http://www.hemitruckclub.com-- but to be honest, it doesn't provide much either regarding the EGR valve.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
HemiBones

O.k., to give an update on this problem, after about 4 hours staring at the factory manual.... I found it, not much mention like you said. Anyhow, pulled it off and it looks to be fine. Now, with that being said, it has alot of carbon caked on the inside. Not too much though, just enough to get my wonders going. So I am cleaning it out with some carb cleaner and putting it back in.... We'll see what the outcome is. Also, I had the Bosch Platinum +4 in the engine. Decided to pull them out just to look, since the tech at the dealer said that the Hemi doesn't like plat...... Anyway, they were blacker than any plug I have ever pulled from an engine. Maybe thats a contributing factor???? Thanks again for the info, will send back when I am done with this and update as such.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 AM
mazz
Veteran

The plugs probably gotcarboned upbecause the EGR valve was staying open at lower RPMs. It's sort of a vicous circle, EGR valve stops functioning properly, lets exhaust gasses in when it's not supposed to, engine runs bad, plugs carbon up, engine runs even worse.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 PM
HemiBones

O.k., well I took the EGR off and cleaned it, lubed it and put it back together. Still runs like crap. I have the FSM and saw the section on troubleshooting the code P0404, but without the diagnostics computer its useless. Don't suppose anyone has any ideas on what I can do to dive further into this without paying the dealer to do it... Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:59 PM
djr04
All Star

Did you replace the plugs or put them back in? If the plugs are fouled, then that could be the reason you still have problems. I have also heard from various places that platinum plugs in a hemi are a gamble, works for some, doesn't work for others. However, my best advice has already been given, the egr valve. I had a 95 GMC jimmy that had the exact same problem, carbon stuck the EGR valve open. Have you checked the wiring going to the EGR, and the fuses? That would be another cheap and easy check before taking it in for service.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
HemiBones

O.k., I will try to see if the valve is stuck. Also, would it be safe for me to put voltage to pins to see if I can get the valve to move? I know it only uses 5V for position sensor, but is there another voltage that drives the thing? Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 PM
jody166

I guarantee its the EGR, just taking it off and trying to clean it is not going to cut it, I had the exact same symptoms and trouble code you are talking about and unfortuneately you HAVE to replace it with a new one, cleaning it is just not good enough.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

From jan 07...niceee

Old 05-29-2009, 02:03 PM
eglzfan5
Default same prob

Thanks for the heads up everybody. now I know where to start. My buddy is a mechanic and he thinks it could be the egr valve selonoid. Might be worth it to just replace both.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0404 code and bad running