3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Field voltage values for an 03 Cummins alternator

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 PM
AmJimC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field voltage values for an 03 Cummins alternator

My charging voltage is 15.2 volts, constantly verified by 3 gauges. It's my understanding the voltage regulator is located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). I don't drive the truck that often but the batts go low and it barely cranks after a week of sitting still. Does anyone know what the voltage values are supposed to be? I think 15.2 is the very high end of the scale but it seems to keep it that high always, I have cleaned cables and applied dielectric grease on batts and cables. I do haul a slide in camper that has a built-in voltage inverter but the camper is off the truck for the winter season. !5.2 VDC and low batts.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:25 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had that same issue with 2012 Ram 3500 ST.Everything relies on the battery voltage when in sleep mode.Log story short,bought a Battery Tender, from any parts store near you.Just follow instruction on pkg & plug in.Ground the unit on the engine block.Blinking green light means 80% charge solid green means full charge.Reason I added this,because most people don;t read instruction,Battery Tender is easy to use and keeps both of my batteries up 100% for months,Mine sit for long periods as well.Just a thought.........................

Quick Reply: Field voltage values for an 03 Cummins alternator