3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake light issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Seventime17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light issue.

So I just bought a 2002 dodge 1500, the last owner had no answer so here I am. My problem is when the accessory is turned on brakes work fine. Start the engine and the brake lights stay on and do not function properly. There is also a spliced wire near the steering column under the dash near the parking brake.anyone have any thp8ghts or suggestions?

Old 03-02-2018, 07:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Disconnect the splice and see what happens.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:36 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Does truck have aftermarket stereo? I feel certain that that wire is supposed to be connected to the parking brake vice brake. Go ahead a disconnect it, and be sure to tape up the tap point. When disconnected, you will not be able to watch movies or videos on your media screen (but you probably can't now anyway because it is connected to wrong wire). Let us know what happens.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

As I look at your picture more, there is some unusual stereo wiring going on. Previous owner may have also wired accessory wire to constant 12v source. The red and yellow should not be running through firewall, probably to the battery or a distribution block. Can you take a picture of your stereo and the wiring connected to your battery?

Quick Reply: Brake light issue.