3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please describe your "noises" with MDS with CAI and/or Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Foiled
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please describe your "noises" with MDS with CAI and/or Superchips

ORIGINAL: djr04

I've never had any problems, but I usually run the 91 tune with 93+ octane. I also tend to drive it like I stole it when it is warmed up. I have noticed though that the truck seems doggish on the 87 tune compared to the 91 tune, but that could be because of less spark advance. Hope everything works out well for you guys.
Try something for us. Have it set to 91 Performance and take a drive, keep it around 40ish mph. Just hold the gas enough to hold 40-45. Don't give it gas up to 45 then let off then gas it then let off. Just hold it at a stedy speed around 40ish and let us know if you feel the stumble. You will also see a RPM change if you look right when you feel it happen.

I think people drive like you do is why they do not feel it. And nothing is wrong with that. When I had the tune in and would drive harder I never felt it but like I said when I "grandpa'd" up and drove like I wanted better fuel mileage It happens A LOT.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:05 PM
kpj5br
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Foiled
Try something for us. Have it set to 91 Performance and take a drive, keep it around 40ish mph. Just hold the gas enough to hold 40-45. Don't give it gas up to 45 then let off then gas it then let off. Just hold it at a stedy speed around 40ish and let us know if you feel the stumble. You will also see a RPM change if you look right when you feel it happen.

I think people drive like you do is why they do not feel it. And nothing is wrong with that. When I had the tune in and would drive harder I never felt it but like I said when I "grandpa'd" up and drove like I wanted better fuel mileage It happens A LOT.
Foiled, really that is THE perfect description for someone to do, so they can experience this. Keep in mind folks, this appears to be ONLY with '06 and newer, I've seen a lot of comments from '05 and older that don't have this, but it definitely appears that MOST of the '06s (and soon potentially '07s) do experience this if driven as Foiled describes above.

That said, here's an update: I did manage to get my truck to do something like this is STOCK mode. It was not nearly as pronounced as it is with an SC tune on, but I am certain it was the same thing. The main difference being however, I had to try and try and try to get this in stock, slowly accelerate up to about 42mph, let off, keep it about 40. At least 20 times in a row, and it did do it one time. With an SC tune on, however, it does it literally every single time.

So this continues to drive totally nuts, not that it mattersa great deal, but I myself am an engineer (not an automotive engineer, mind your, but all of us have the same mindset more or less). If I had a different way of thinking, this probably wouldn't bother me quite as much, but each day that goes by I get more and more anxious about this, primarily because I don't understand it, and the feel of this is definitely NOT RIGHT.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: kpj5br

Foiled, really that is THE perfect description for someone to do, so they can experience this. Keep in mind folks, this appears to be ONLY with '06 and newer, I've seen a lot of comments from '05 and older that don't have this, but it definitely appears that MOST of the '06s (and soon potentially '07s) do experience this if driven as Foiled describes above.

That said, here's an update: I did manage to get my truck to do something like this is STOCK mode. It was not nearly as pronounced as it is with an SC tune on, but I am certain it was the same thing. The main difference being however, I had to try and try and try to get this in stock, slowly accelerate up to about 42mph, let off, keep it about 40. At least 20 times in a row, and it did do it one time. With an SC tune on, however, it does it literally every single time.

So this continues to drive totally nuts, not that it mattersa great deal, but I myself am an engineer (not an automotive engineer, mind your, but all of us have the same mindset more or less). If I had a different way of thinking, this probably wouldn't bother me quite as much, but each day that goes by I get more and more anxious about this, primarily because I don't understand it, and the feel of this is definitely NOT RIGHT.
Thanks for the info, I needed something to do today and I guess I am now going to be driving around town untill I get mine to do this in stock. If I can get mine to do it nI am going to contact Dodge and see what I can get done. I will let you know what I come up with today.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 PM
kpj5br
Rookie

Foiled, any luck?

I'm taking my truck in for the front wheel bearing/hub recall next week, and I'm going to insist that a mech ride with me so I can show him/her this phenomenon.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Foiled
Veteran

I didn't have time yesterday or today. I hope to test this tomorrow or later this week. I will let you know what I find.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
kpj5br
Rookie

One other thing to consider is that this may only be experienced by those with a lock-up torque converter, and that actually might be the sound/vibration, as I believe (but not 100% certain) that the lock-up torque converters only do the mechanical lock in 4th and 5th gear. Just another theory...

Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 AM
canram
Rookie

ORIGINAL: kpj5br

Description of sounds/vibrations: When MDS kicks in, it is extremely noticeable, with a very short (fraction of a second) "thunk" sound, along with an actual "feelable" jerk vibration, again fraction of second, but noticeable. It sounds like a very hollow sound, almost like dropping a penny into an empty tin can. Important: for the first few hundred miles I experienced this, it was just the "hollow" sound, with no "feeling" involved, but more recently I can actually "feel" the truck at this moment do something, almost like an engine misfire. When I use either regular method to disable MDS (disable OD or Tow/Haul mode) NEITHER the sound nor the vibration occurs. The reason I think I have it nailed to MDS kicking in versus OD kicking in is that every time this happens, the RPMs shoot up by a few hundred, and this is indicative of MDS kicking in.
The way the MDS works is by diabling the valve lifters on cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7. So maybe the sound you're hearing are the valves being closed all at once? As for the vibration, perhaps it is because the engine is momentarily unbalanced? Doing a steady 40-45mph, your engine is at about 1500rpm. This is about 25 revolutions per second. MDS takes about 0.04 seconds to engage, or about 1 rotation of the crank at previously mentioned speed. The order of deacivation is 1746, so maybe someone who's more familiar with the mechanics could tell us if this will produce unbalanced banks ...

Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Well here is my 2 cents

I have a (Stock) 2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD 5.7 Hemi with the Thunder Road package.

No Performance mods yet.

However, I am having a similar transmission / shift issues as it is now.
The only thing that seems to diminish this is when I use Chevron Supreme (and only Chevron) so I am assuming it is related to the MDS and not the tranny.

My neighbor has a 2004 4WD Ram 1500 Hemi who swears by his Superchips mod.

So I ordered one to see if it would help.

All the reading I have done from this thread and its links, it seems to affect the 4WD more than the 2WD Rams. Or the Superchips tuner isn’t as prevalent in the 2WD community.

I was planning to get a Flowmaster Super 40 too, but I saw a thread about the 02 sensors and Check Engine Light issues.

To be honest this thread is scaring me. Ack!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:31 AM
djr04
All Star

ORIGINAL: Foiled

Didn't see this post until just now. I'll test it out soon and post my results.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:41 PM
djr04
All Star

Tested it out, no stumble. Tried multiple times, and the tranny either shifted softly into a higher gear (lower rpms) or shifted into neutral and coasted. I did not however, use Tow/Haul or OD off. Also, the engine was not quite up to the operating temp for MDS, so that may be worth looking into as a source of this stumble (if this is limited to 06 trucks)

Quick Reply: Please describe your "noises" with MDS with CAI and/or Superchips