3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats wrong?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
huseman808
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong?

In my truck, only the passenger side vents will blow hot air. The driver side is lukewarm/cold. Also it feels like the driver said blows a larger volume of air than the warmer passenger side does?

-Water pump has been replaced 3 months ago because it locked up.
-New thermostat last weekend
-New Radiator last weekend(didnt think it would fix it but it needed one anyway)
-Both heater hoses get hot to the touch
-tried running it with the clutch fan removed to see if maybe it was stuck on but got same result.
-coolant system "burped" of any air

This is gonna end up being something on the stupid heater box isnt it?

Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
SeanW727
Professional

IS it actually blowing cold air out the drivers side and hot air out of the passengers side? If so have you tried it on different settings such as Defrost/Floor or just floor? If it works normal there sounds like you might have an issue with the blend doors which are behind the dash. When you change the control to tell the air where to go these open and close accordingly.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
luckydt
Veteran

That or maybe you have some freinds that have a nest on the drivers side?? It doesn't matter what setting it's on as far where it's blowing the air??

Old 12-12-2010, 03:54 PM
huseman808
Captain

Controls work fine, easlily switches to different zones for the heat to come out of.

-Defrost only = hot air on both sides(i think, cant remember for sure. have to double check)
-Dash Vens = hot passenger side, cold driver side
-Floor vents = hot passenger side, cold driver side

Old 12-12-2010, 10:53 PM
huseman808
Captain

bump.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Dark-Rig

Blend Door?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
SeanW727
Professional

Any chance your truck has dual-climate control? Seperate for passenger and driver.... Many luxury cars have it but im not sure about the dodges as mine does not. If so you may have something wrong with that.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a search on the board for blend doors. It seems several guys have issues with one side blowing cold air while the other side is hot.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM
huseman808
Captain

last night i pulled off the entire bottom piece of the dash, with the glovebox, ashtray, and cupholder. This give you access to almost the whole HVAC box. Anyway, i pulled the actuator motor off of the blend doors and moved the doors by hand. They operated as they should, and everything felt fine. Nothing was stripped or broken. Even with the motor hooked up, both doors had a full range of movement.

soooo..

Now what?

It was suggested to me that it may still be the heater core, even though i flushed it with water, and there didnt appear to be any clogs. He said that water doesnt always work and that i should try flushing it with muratic acid.

What do you think?

Also, since i put the new thermostat(195degree) in the truck it doesnt get as hot as it used to.
Name:  truck.png
Views: 261
Size:  2.5 KB
The green is where operating temperature is now, the orange is where it used to be with the old thermostat(also a 195degree)

I dont know if this has anything to do with the problem because my heat issue was occuring before i changed the thermostat.

what to do?

Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So you had heat only on the pass side while you actually watched the doors change motion to all the way open? The gear ends are what strips out on them, the doors don't actually break, so they usually get stuck in the closed position.
There is only 1 heater core. If it were plugged, you wouldn't have heat at all! The fact that you have cold air on the driverside and air is actually blowing AND hot air on the pass side tells me it's the blend door. If it's mildly warm and not hot on pass side, you could have blend door AND plugged heater core issue's.
Easy way to tell if your heater core is plugged is to grab both lines going to it. They should both be equally hot. Becareful not to burn yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats wrong?