DIY Hid reverse lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
2009dodgeram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Hid reverse lights!!

Okay guys keep in mind im at work and am typing this on an iphone so please excuse the spelling mistakes and briefness...

Supplies needed... 10mm socket, about 50ft of 14 gauge wire, 2 ballasts, 2 h3 bulbs, relay harness, solder gun (flux is great), glue, electrical tape, and patients or beer your choice .

Step 1: run a power wire from battery to the back of the truck. I personally put a 25a fuse at the begining for saftey.

Step 2: get the relay and cut the adaptor for the headlights off and strip the wires ( the part that tells the relay to draw power or not).

Step 3: choose a side and take a section of insulation of both the positive and negative wires to the reverse light. Oh and by the way you should begin to install the h3 bulb into the tail lights YOU NEED TO GLUE THE BULBS INTO THE HOUSING yes i knOw its a bit drastic but there are no bulbs that just plug in.

Step 4: solder the two stripped ends of the relay to the corresponding sides (pos or neg) of the factory reverse light. And if you want to have the lights on a switch ypu need to solder 1 aditional wire to each pos or neg side of the relay. Make sure that if you do so you should make the wire abOut the length of you arm for both pos and neg.

Step 5: attach the power wire you ran previOusly to the pos side of relay the part that the harness draws from ( it usually has a fuse). The if you lOok under the bumber there should be a long rod (haha) that is a brace from the frame to the bumber (i think) use a 10mm socket and loosen untill you can slip the neg end of both the relay and the arm length peice i told you about under the bolt then tighten.

Step 6: run the outputs from the relay (for the ballasts) to each side of the bumper then connect the ballasts. For the people who dont want the switch you should be all done just connect the wires to the ballast and gentlly install the tail lights. Be carefull that you do not bend the bulb out of the housing as it is a tight fit.

Step 7: for the people who want to show tailgaters whos boss... You are going to need to remove the third brake light and strip only the black wire going into the passanger side cargo lght. aftr you will need to connect a peice of wire to the black wire. Then run the wire down the seal of rear window ( i know it sounds bad but its the only way to have it hooked up to the cargo lithts) then install the third brake light and make it look pretty ie: hid the wire.
Step 8: run the wire down to the positive wire that you previously connced to the pos side of relay/factory reverse light (the arm lenght wirw thats not attached to the ground.)

Then boom you have the ultimate tailgater switch at your finger tips and you have the ability to turn them on when you hit unlock to blind innosent people in the parkinglot hehehe. Sorry that it is not the best write up it is pretty staight foward. If you have any problems at all feel free to ask thanks and enjoy!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great DIY! This is featured today on the DF Front Page as our Tech Thread Spotlight!

Quick Reply: DIY Hid reverse lights!!