4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

vin decoder msrp vs window sticker

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:01 PM
grocery getter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vin decoder msrp vs window sticker

I'm back from a run for maple bars so here is my first post. I am looking at replacing my 04 hemi with a 2016 hemi and found the vin decoder which is very nice. Having often wondered if the MSRP stated in ads and Window Stickers were truthful I was surprised to see the MSRP listed on a couple of my VIN decoder searches to be about $5000 less than the dealer ad stated. Can anyone chime in about actual verses dealer listed MSRP?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the msrp is typically the price if a dealership buys 1 truck of that model... when they purchase mass quantities they get a volume discount... however, they will not change the msrp on the lot, but they will offer "huge discounts" to make it look like you're getting a deal... this is typically called anchor pricing...

let say the msrp for 1 truck is $56,000.. okay..? that's what the dealer will show... however, because the dealer purchased 50 trucks.. they only paid the manufacture $35,000 each... so they list the truck for $56,000.. then tell you it's maked down with dealer rebates, discounts ect... and the sales man says "If i make you a smoking deal today will you buy?" He offers the truck to you for $45,000 and you say yes...because you're no fool and you know a good deal when you see one right?!?! before the seat get cold from the test drive you sign and are on your way...

you feel great because you saved $12,000 right..? can't wait to brag to your friends and co-workers they your a real shark and talked tough to get the price down.... similar things happen on used lots... there are even co-ops of dealers that make large purchases together to get the prices down on their end... it's really sickening... if you're not getting at least 25-40% off msrp.. you're not getting a deal

Last edited by iwhitne; 10-02-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: vin decoder msrp vs window sticker