4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Best Oil and Filter for 2011 Longhorn

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
prwillard2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil and Filter for 2011 Longhorn

Was just looking online and trying to find the best oil/filter combo for my new 2011 Laramie Longhorn. I used to use Royal Purple in my 2009 Charger, but my reading online said that Amsoil is the best type of oil. Also was reading that K&N Filters are the best.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas/experience in terms of their best oil/filter combo?

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Talon_66
Professional

There are so many threads on this already.
I would suggest searching...
There is no "best" its all personal preference.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 AM
moosefire66
Veteran

Amsoil and royal purple are at the top of everyist on most every oil test for performance and wear. The thing with amsoul is the longer you use it, the thicker it gets. So ya need to be really careful how long you run it.

Personally I run a WIX oil filter. Its what I prefer. Like Talon66 stated, there really is no best, its all just a matter of personal opinion.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Amsoil OE or XL series. Your choice of over the counter synthetics,Mobil 1 ,Penzoil Platiumn, Penzoil Ultimate, QS synthetic,Kendall, Castrol Syntec and so on and so on. Heck even Walmart brand Super Tech synthetic(Warren oil co.) has shown to have good analysis numbers. Filters factory, Pure 1 , Wix,K&N etc. Just use a to tier filter.

Last edited by hounddogg; 06-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:22 AM
72combo
Champion

Unless you are actually going to the max limit on the oil change mileage I see no use in synthetic. I was a proponent of synthetic for a few years but after spending more money on oil I managed to have more issues like valve springs, timing chains under 100,000 kms which is not cool so not I just let the dealer dump their best from the barrel. I think I will be moving on soon to another place the dealer is pressuring too much to have things done, I only have 17000 kms and it seems every other oil change they have tire rotation and other stuff so
3 months 50 bucks oil change
next 3 months 169 for oil change and piece of mind check which is basically they look and the brakes and clean? them and grease the slides.....at 17000 kms? should be something that gets done for free with tire rotation. So I am looking for a shop that does it all, transfer case fluid trans diff, everything cheaper than dealer because my daughter just bought a new car their...I recommended her. No free oil change nothing, other dealers send you 100 bucks or give you free oil changes.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There are big advantages to a synthetic oil, but most of them you see with extended change intervals and extreme use. There is nothing wrong with a conventional oil with 3k changes unless you tow/haul often or do nothing but short trips which often causes conventional oil to sludge.

Personally, I use a 100% synthetic oil, channged at 5000 miles. I'm not real picky on brand, but unless I catch a real good sale it's usually Valvoline (although I just did on Royal Purple for $4 and change a quart so I bought enough for my next 2 changes in both vehicles). I used to use nothing but Wix filters, but the closest NAPA to me is 14 miles, so I've found myself using the ones that are offered free with the 5 gallon jugs of synthetic (so then I just have to add the 2 quarts). Last couple of times it was K&N filter with the Valvoline Synpower for $27.99 If it's not a Wix, I try to stay with one of the ones made by Champion Labs (Royal Purple, K&N, Mopar, Mobil 1) or the Purolator Pure One...

Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

The oil world is now made up of may over the counter common synthetics. These are not for the most the long extended drains like some of the Amsoil/ Royal Purple/Redline high mileage boutique oils. So I see no reason not to use these good over the counter synthetics. They will go the up to 8k or 6 months with ease. Just in design 5w20 oils that are rated for use in these Dodge trucks and others are basicly a synthetic to start with. Even 5k oil changes is said to be too soon these days. Sludge is just about a thing of the past also in the the newer oil designs.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
P345PR-AR15

Originally Posted by prwillard2
Was just looking online and trying to find the best oil/filter combo for my new 2011 Laramie Longhorn. I used to use Royal Purple in my 2009 Charger, but my reading online said that Amsoil is the best type of oil. Also was reading that K&N Filters are the best.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas/experience in terms of their best oil/filter combo?

Thanks!
I use Royal Purple Oil and Mopar Oil Filters in my 2009 Bighorn and I'll be using Royal Purple Oil & Royal Purple Oil Filters in my 2011 Longhorn. I also use Royal Purple Oil & Filters in my 2002 Silverado.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
huntergreen
Professional

only have needed to change my oil once so far. used kn oil filter and penzoil ultra. changing every 7000 miles per owners manual. big change for me as i always did the three thousand mile change.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Sask FlatLanderJay
Amateur

5/20 Pennzoil Full Syn And before that Mobil 1 Full Syn and fram tough guard filter, So far So Good. 128.000 kms

Quick Reply: Best Oil and Filter for 2011 Longhorn