4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Anyone get a buyback yet??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:27 PM
carlg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone get a buyback yet??

It was July 27th when they made the announcement about the buyback. It is now almost a month later.

Has anyone gotten any offers yet??

I have not heard a thing yet or gotten anything.

Heard any rumors??

This has been a quiet topic.

I am kind of in the market for a new truck, but I really want to see what the buy back offer is first.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Go visit a dealer and ask

Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 AM
carlg
Amateur

I actually emailed the dealer where I bought my truck 6 years ago and asked for details, but I only got the auto reply.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:00 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Sometimes it's better to ask in person. I'm almost positive the dealers are not tripping over themselves trying to find you to buy your truck.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Go find you the best deal for a trade on the vehicle you want.

At most, even if you meet ALL the required criteria, you'll only receive 10% over purchase price LESS DEPRECIATION which basically is gonna net you book value + 10%. If you've kept your truck in good shape, you should be able to get that in trade allowance.

This buyback thing is nothing more than a "look good" ruling by the NHTSA. First of all, following the ruling, executives from GM, Ford and FCA all signed a 37 page agreement outlining what the government wants to see in future warranty, recall and customer communication issues. Of this 37 pages, buybacks programs constituted two paragraphs.

Now let's look at the buyback ruling. When asked by the press how FCA would be made to pay owners for vehicles, NHTSA Administrator Mark Rose kindly replied "That's a question better directed at Fiat-Chrysler". So basically, the government didn't even define the manner in which owners were going to be paid.

Is your truck even eligible for buyback? To qualify, your truck must be one that has been identified in one of three specific recalls. If your vehicle is under one of these three recalls but has been fixed by the dealer you ARE NOT eligible.

The gist of the buyback ruling is for these three recalls, where FCA has stated they have an approved remedy, but have been slow or completely lax in making repair parts available to dealers for repair. IMO you are not going to see many, if any actual buybacks take place. What you WILL see is that the repair parts will miraculously start arriving at dealerships.

While I applaud the NHTSA for slapping FCA (AND GM) a lot of what's in their consent order leaves a ton of gray area and room for the manufacturer to determine just what they want to do to remedy these recalls. Don't hold your breath waiting for a buyback. The NHTSA is a government agency full of bureaucracy and in the words of Ronald Reagan, the nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"...

Old 09-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Is your truck even eligible for buyback? To qualify, your truck must be one that has been identified in one of three specific recalls. If your vehicle is under one of these three recalls but has been fixed by the dealer you ARE NOT eligible. The gist of the buyback ruling is for these three recalls, where FCA has stated they have an approved remedy, but have been slow or completely lax in making repair parts available to dealers for repair....
This. They are only buying back trucks that are affected by the recall but have not been fixed....yet. Of the three recalls, only one applies to 1500s so that knocks odds down some more for the majority of owners. I would be shocked if more than 10% of the "300,000 trucks being bought back by Ram!" ever occurs. Thank the press for the chicken-little response, damn the facts, anything for ratings.....

Old 09-02-2015, 01:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Ok, so as of August 31 FCA has announced the official buyback plan.

Basically, if you are under one of the three recalls this falls under and your vehicle has not been repaired as of July 24, 2015 your options are:

A) Take it in for repair and receive a $100 prepaid Visa card. If already repaired AFTER 7/24 you can apply for the Visa.

B) Make your best deal on trading in your vehicle on a brand new FCA vehicle and receive an additional $2000 trade allowance.

or

C) Make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected (after 10/1/15) to get an estimate of "fair market value" (I'm told this value will fall somewhere between dealer auction and average trade prices) plus 10%. Any modifications, unless performed by the factory as part of the original vehicle purchase will not be factored into the buyback offer...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-03-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:36 AM
carlg
Amateur

I was able to use the following tool:

www.fcarecall.com

pop in my vin number

and I got 3 options

1. Get fixed with $100 gist card

2. Trade in with extra $2000 incentive

3. Buy back at KBB trade in value plus 10%

I will be getting the truck fixed!!

Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
robinsonfam1
Rookie

I got my official buy back letter the other day.....the letter states fair market value and the website says trade in value.

I called NHTSA and they said the letter is accurate and not the web site per the laws. She recommended me to call Chrysler immediately.

I talked Chrysler and they said the site is NOT correct and that it is supposed to be fair market value of the truck. On KBB my truck is valued about $25K plus 10% so roughly $27000.

They will not be doing any estimates until after OCtober 1st. Im sure there is going to be an estimating curve as well......who you deal with, mood they are in, upset tummy......ugh....ill take them a case of beer, wine, Jack.

If your offer is not good then you can appeal/dispute is as well....

I destroyed my credit starting up my company so i dont have many options to purchase another vehicle unless i get full value. believe me that i will be fighting for every penny all the way to the top.Trade in value does not replace my truck. i cant buy another TRX loaded up for $14K......thats a BS amount and im sure that chrylser knows this. They dont want to get into any more hot water with this recall im sure

Old 09-17-2015, 04:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Curious to see what you are actually offered. I'm on about a dozen forums, half of them Ram based and there have been very few who qualify. I know one guy with a CTD 3500 who did, but they made him an offer to trade for a new '16 and convinced him they were giving him the 10% over market he'd get if he waited until the 1st of Oct. official estimate period. Plus took $2000 off (so they showed on paper, anyway).

I can actually see them offering a good deal now, it wouldn't go on any official penalty numbers...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-17-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone get a buyback yet??