4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:45 AM
53fireman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Peragon planning anything for RAMBOX trucks? I like my BakFlip, but I can't keep water from getting in around the edges. It's not much, but still there... Bak was really good working with me, and I tried 3 different covers and kept the one that leaks the least.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 AM
swnger69

My 04 had a fibreglass cover, couldn't wait to put a Bakflip on my 2012! Best of both worlds!!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 53fireman
Is Peragon planning anything for RAMBOX trucks? I like my BakFlip, but I can't keep water from getting in around the edges. It's not much, but still there... Bak was really good working with me, and I tried 3 different covers and kept the one that leaks the least.
Fireman,

Thank you for the interest! We're getting an increasing number of calls from truck owners with the Rambox. There are no immediate plans to develop one, but they are thinking about it.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by MJAT
If you want a great looking and usable tri-fold tonneau cover you should check out the UnderCover Flex.
Looks suspiciously like a BakFlip, if Bakflip isn't making them for them I'd be suprised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4h4EkLZq_Q

Last edited by oldjeep; 04-11-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM
jhawk32
Default BAKflip G2 tonneau cover

Hi I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I love my 2013 Ram 1500 SLT Regular cab. I bought a plain truck and I am adding and dressing it.

I added a Curt trailer Hitch, 3 inch nerf bars, DuralinerBed Liner and a BAKflip G2 Tonneau Cover. The installation for the trailerhitch and nerf bar steps were both very easy. They fit like factory installedcomponents. The Duraliner installation was simple. The Bakflip G2 was a bit ofa challenge.

I watched the videos on U-tube and the BAKflip web page. Itlooked to be easy. There are a few things not mentioned in the videos andwritten instructions.

When I opened the box and inventoried the parts there weretwo 6 foot long by 2 inch plastic strips that were not described in theinstallation instructions (a one page flyer). I called the company and was toldthey were for trucks with no bed liner.

The first step is to install the rails. Six small stripswere included to place on some trucks where the lip on the truck bed slopes. Itried without but didn’t like the fit so I put them on where the clamps wereattached. I liked the fit better. On one of the videos a guy put the brackets onone side and tapped the end with a rubber mallet (from the tail gate to pushthe rails to the front of the truck). Definitely do this. It ensures the railis tight to the front of the truck and allows the tail gate to close.

Second step is to place the folding parts on the rails andopen up. The directions do not say to ensure the cover end next to the tailgate is as close as possible and still be able to close the tail gate. When thefit is acceptable, then open the folding parts all the way to lean against thetruck window.

There was a small strip of rubber (not in the directions) with 3M tape on the backthat goes on the truck bed under the BAKflip. When that is in place (I actuallyput it on before I place the cover on the rails for the practice fit) .Insert thebolt through the cover and place the ***** on the bolts.

The next step is to put the rubber bumpers on the foldingpart to protect the truck window with the BAKflip open.

At this point you place the support bars on and check thefit holding the cover open against the window.

Unfold the cover (can hear the latches catching as theyclose). Ensure the tail gate is closed before you close the last piece.

The fit is good. It looks well-made and I am very happy withit.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 AM
martaelise

I am wondering how much weight the paragon cover will withstand.
? Can you walk on it?
A friend of mine had a bear jump on his backflip G2 cover and it didn't hurt it.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Peragon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by martaelise
I am wondering how much weight the paragon cover will withstand? Can you walk on it? A friend of mine had a bear jump on his backflip G2 cover and it didn't hurt it.
Hi Martaelise,

Thank you for your interest in the Peragon cover!

I'll copy and paste the answer to this question below. If you're interested, check out our FAQ where you'll find answers to this question and others.

The Peragon cover will support up to 50 pounds of concentrated weight like a cooler or tool box. It is engineered to support up to 300 pounds of evenly distributed weight like snow. When driving, there shouldn't be any weight on the cover. Our solid aluminum design offers robust protection for your cargo. However, it is not designed to walk on or to haul cargo on. Think of our cover just like you would the hood of your truck. The hood is rigid and strong, but you wouldn't walk on it.

Give me a call if you'd like to discuss! 877-473-7246 x71.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 AM
jwadd96

Peragon,

I was gonna start a thread in asking where can I find bed rail plugs for the stake rack holes the are exposed along the bed rails?? I see ur company (picture) has the same exposure being that the topper lays inside the holes.

My question is, where would I find plugs or snap caps for the holes so water doesn't get in?? I've tried my Dealer and all they come up with is a new bed rail cap with no holes. After market truck places don't have anything either.

Any thots?
Thanks, John

Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Peragon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jwadd96
Peragon,

I was gonna start a thread in asking where can I find bed rail plugs for the stake rack holes the are exposed along the bed rails?? I see ur company (picture) has the same exposure being that the topper lays inside the holes.

My question is, where would I find plugs or snap caps for the holes so water doesn't get in?? I've tried my Dealer and all they come up with is a new bed rail cap with no holes. After market truck places don't have anything either.

Any thots?
Thanks, John
Hi John -

We do have some resources for you. There are options ranging from simple snap-in plastic plugs to tie-downs that add utility in the process. I hope these help - if you have any other questions about our bed cover, just let me know!

http://www.smartstraps.com/products/...or-points.aspx

http://www.bullringusa.com/shop/bull...ble-tie-downs/

http://www.realtruck.com/truck-bed-tie-downs/

http://truxedo.com/stake_pocket/land.php

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM
jwadd96

Thanks for the info Peragon!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bakflip cover or other soft cover opinions? Pros? Cons?