4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Turbo for towing purposes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM
tractor hauler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo for towing purposes

I have a 1500 5.7 Hemi which has been modified for towing purposes. The truck has a b&w goosneck hitch, air bags, and better brakes for towing around my 26' GN enclosed trailer. The truck handled this trailer with no problems from GA to PA a few weeks ago, but it knew the trailer was there espically on hills having to downshift to 4th all the time.

Therefore, I am thinking about adding a turbo or SC in an attempt to increase Hp and MPG on the hilly terrain of WV, PA, VA, etc. so that I can maintain enough boost to stay in 5th gear up hills.

Anyone have any experience with this, is there a tune, or other solution that is recommended or I am missing.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? How is a turbo on a gas engine going to help in 5th gear going up a hill?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
09RuffRam
Veteran

turbo would add more hp and torque. not sure but more torque at lower rpms to ? which would help out with towing in my opinion. i figure dodge should make a turbo hemi model. more power, mpg, MORE FUN

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by 09RuffRam
turbo would add more hp and torque. not sure but more torque at lower rpms to ? which would help out with towing in my opinion. i figure dodge should make a turbo hemi model. more power, mpg, MORE FUN
Gas turbos don't add much until you have the RPMs up - which is why you don't see them on V8 trucks, pretty useless in the normal operating RPMS.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Gas turbos don't add much until you have the RPMs up - which is why you don't see them on V8 trucks, pretty useless in the normal operating RPMS.
Right... which is why the BMW M5 picked up all that low end when they went from a v10 NA to a v8 TT... and why the Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe had such great low end... and why the subaru impezza makes so much less torque down low than a WRX or an STI... and why... never mind.

A properly sized turbo setup will increase torque across the entire operating range. That said, if you want low end grunt it is hard to match an eaton TVS... for which there are already multiple kits for the current gen truck. As long as it has the <'10 ecu.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 AM
JonathanA
Rookie

Exact! You just need a little exhaust to spin those turbos and boost ill give you tq.
Only disadvantage is boost from idle vs a supercharger.

But a turbo i more fuel efficient...

Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Couple turbos with direct injection and you've got the makings of a powerhouse with a relatively flat torque curve. Ford F150s with a little V6 are moving off the lots in droves - especially with the RV crowd. Why? Phenomenal empty MPGs but enough power to rival much larger V8s.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like all the $$ you spent and plan on spending you should of bought a 2500 with a Cummins... Plus the gearing would be better.

Also what gearing are you setup with currently if the 3.55's that surely doesn't help your cause.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by frogslinger
Right... which is why the BMW M5 picked up all that low end when they went from a v10 NA to a v8 TT... and why the Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe had such great low end... and why the subaru impezza makes so much less torque down low than a WRX or an STI... and why... never mind.

A properly sized turbo setup will increase torque across the entire operating range. That said, if you want low end grunt it is hard to match an eaton TVS... for which there are already multiple kits for the current gen truck. As long as it has the <'10 ecu.

And for the rest of the class, what is the operating RPM range of all those little motors you just mentioned?

To the OP - go for it and report back your results

Last edited by oldjeep; 02-22-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I got a pretty good buddy who runs peanuts from the farms to the peanut mill at harvest time every year. This is done pulling TWO trailers, loaded with peanuts and each trailer weighs in the neighborhood of 8000 lbs. Which means 16,000 lbs. total! Now EVERYBODY I know who rents themselves out for peanut hauling owns a diesel except this guy. He owns a '01 Ford F150 with the 5.4L Triton and has a Procharger installed. The shop that installed it ran a couple of dynos on it and the engine which made 195 RWHP and 190 RWTQ stock puts out 412 RWHP and 405 RWTQ with the Procharger. I've seen his dyno and the torque curve is pretty damn flat and is damn near up to peak at about 1800 rpm.

The guy has gotten stopped and ticketed for pulling over weight a couple of times, but most of the cops in the county know him, so more often they either just wave to him as he passes or occasionally he'll get stopped by a cop who will make him unhook one of the two trailers and come back for it.

I've been in this truck and it pulls harder than most stock diesel trucks I've been in.

Now, IMO nothing is gonna beat a turbo diesel on a 3/4 ton or heavier frame to tow with, but the Procharger system might be something to look into...

Quick Reply: Turbo for towing purposes