4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Experiences with 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Experiences with 2WD?

I'm looking at a 2WD 4th gen right now. I have a 4x4, but the quad cab is too small and the 4.7L is too small because I only use it for towing. I was going to replace the gearing and stuff per the recommendations of some of the great folks on this forum, but after seeing the price quote I got and seeing the deals available on new rams right now I realized I can get the crew cab 2WD for the same price as my 4x4.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with 2WDs. There are some great deals on 2WDs right now and I'm wondering if its worth it. Do they tow OK? Anyone disappointed that they had them and regret not getting the 4x4?

My 4x4 doesnt have LSD, but the 2WDs that I'm looking at do. I've only had to use 4x4 once in the 2 years I've owned this truck, so really I'm thinking 2wd is probably fine. I only tow my race car, so I don't haul a lot of weight, but really the only time I drive a truck is to tow and to drive when its snowing (Southern Ohio is like 1"- don't want to get salt on my other cars though), but I don't tow/haul in winter.

Anyway, I like the 2012 2WD I'm looking at because its a loaded laramie with all the bells and whistles you can get on these things- all for about the same price I think I'd sell my quad cab 4x4 for. I'm also looking at a new 2013 2WD Hemi big horn with the new dash/radios and stuff, and it will cost me $1500 after trade-in if I trade my truck in.

I'm just worried I might regret getting 4x2, and I thought I'd see what the experiences are of others on the forum?

Last edited by Arachnyd; 06-08-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by Arachnyd
I'm looking at a 2WD 4th gen right now. I have a 4x4, but the quad cab is too small and the 4.7L is too small because I only use it for towing. I was going to replace the gearing and stuff per the recommendations of some of the great folks on this forum, but after seeing the price quote I got and seeing the deals available on new rams right now I realized I can get the crew cab 2WD for the same price as my 4x4.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with 2WDs. There are some great deals on 2WDs right now and I'm wondering if its worth it. Do they tow OK? Anyone disappointed that they had them and regret not getting the 4x4?

My 4x4 doesnt have LSD, but the 2WDs that I'm looking at do. I've only had to use 4x4 once in the 2 years I've owned this truck, so really I'm thinking 2wd is probably fine. I only tow my race car, so I don't haul a lot of weight, but really the only time I drive a truck is to tow and to drive when its snowing (Southern Ohio is like 1"- don't want to get salt on my other cars though), but I don't tow/haul in winter.

Anyway, I like the 2012 2WD I'm looking at because its a loaded laramie with all the bells and whistles you can get on these things- all for about the same price I think I'd sell my quad cab 4x4 for. I'm also looking at a new 2013 2WD Hemi big horn with the new dash/radios and stuff, and it will cost me $1500 after trade-in if I trade my truck in.

I'm just worried I might regret getting 4x2, and I thought I'd see what the experiences are of others on the forum?
"I've only had to use 4x4 once in the 2 years I've owned this truck"
I surely dont see any reason to even own a 4x4 in your case, buy the 2WD, save yourself a ton of money and have a lot nicer truck for the same money.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:24 PM
oldjeep
Champion

I've got a 2wd and live in MN - land of ice and snow. Tow sleds and boats with it and so far have only needed 4wd once. In that case I unloaded the jeep off the trailer and had one of the kids tow the truck out. Not sure that 4wd on the truck would have actually solved the problem anyways.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Thanks for the thoughts and perspectives- I appreciate them both. That is what I'm leaning towards! I'll keeep you posted!

I guess I can just haul my CJ, then I'd be safe!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'll add my .02. I own a truck with 4WD but I can also say that I never use 4WD. If it weren't for the occasion muddy back country trail, I wouldn't need 4WD either. I'd personally go with the 2WD.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 PM
rdculus
Veteran

Do what's best for you, especially if you feel like your paying for something you'll never use, what's the point?

For myself I'd never even consider something 2wd, living in canada about half the miles that go on the truck are in four wheel drive. Sure I could maybe get by without but I have it so I use it.
Regardless of where u live a 4x4 will always resell better than a 2wd
Hope your happy with whatevr you get

Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
War Horse
All Star

I switched to a 2WD after owning a 4x4 for years. The 2WD RAM has towed anything I've thrown at it. Honestly I never needed the 4x4 unless I was off roading. Just opt for the 3.92 rear end with the LSD and you'll be golden.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Thanks for the thoughts- They certainly reconfirmed my thought process.

The resale argument makes sense to a point- Right now based on what I'm seeing, 2WD versions of the same truck are about 8-10k less than the 4x4 version. When you order new, they are about 3k less. I would pay the extra 3k for 4x4, but I don't think its worth 8-10k, and that price difference will never be made up in resale...

I think the old days of 2WD's getting stuck are biasing me and a lot of people. LSDs have made a huge difference, as has traction control systems which come on the 2WD. In addition, tire technologies have come a long way. Frankly, based on my research, 2WD trucks are more suitable than people want to admit.

I know one issue I have is my overengineering tendancy. If I need a 5k working load cable to hold 4.5k lbs, I buy a 10k working load cable to make sure i have enough. Realistically thats silly, as a 4.5k load should dictate a 5k. working load cable. Same thing with other tools and equipment, always "overbuying". I think the 4x4 is the same issue- that tendancy to buy more for all the crazy "what-if" scenarios, even though frankly I've never met anyone with a 2WD truck (and this thread supports it) which say the car didn't do what they needed it to.

Thanks again for your input- I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Experiences with 2WD?