4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

No Aluminum Ram in the Near Future

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 PM
DerekShiekhi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Aluminum Ram in the Near Future

It looks as if Ford and General Motors will have more aluminum to themselves over the next several years. Ram won't be picking up any of it with its horns for quite a while.

The truck company will extensively facelift the 1500 in the spring of 2017, but it will stick with primarily steel body panels. That jives with Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne's statement earlier this year that his company has better uses for aluminum than pickups. Industry sources recently told Reuters that Chrysler Group "has no firm plans to follow [its] rivals ... in replacing steel body panels with aluminum until a complete redesign after 2020."

Read the rest on the Dodge Forum homepage.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:43 PM
barry hanna

Well, we've used aluminum on heavy-duty trucks (class 6, 7 & 80 for 30 years. The material cost is greater but the finished cost is less due to lower stamping and forming costs. The issue of aftermarket repair is there but this is a concept whose time has come. And aluminum is more forgiving than steel as far a denting transfer damage, etc. I'm afraid Chrysler will have to get in step or get a new pair of boots.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Bigkid
Angry No Aluminum?

Does that mean More Plastic? What Ram Really needs it to get the Hemi to deliver at least 50% More Mileage. That in my case is only 5-7 More miles to the gallon. My 2014 is the Most Pitiful Mileage of Any Vehicle I have Ever Owned. That Includes 3 454 and 1 427 GM vehicles.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Does that mean More Plastic? What Ram Really needs it to get the Hemi to deliver at least 50% More Mileage. That in my case is only 5-7 More miles to the gallon. My 2014 is the Most Pitiful Mileage of Any Vehicle I have Ever Owned. That Includes 3 454 and 1 427 GM vehicles.
My 14' Ram consistently gets High Teens for mileage. And that is with 3.92's and the 8 speed.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 PM
barry hanna

You're right, they need to do something. I'm presently about 13 around town and 19 on the highway. Of course, my truck is a 4x4 with a 3.92 ratio and a 6-speed, so that's probably the best I can expect. So what's left for them, in practical terms? The diesel is probably the best bet for mileage. I had an Olds diesel back in the dark ages and that was a disaster, so I opted not to look at a light-duty diesel again without some history. I don't need more than a 1500 so the Cummins wasn't in the running either. If the government would get off their duff and get things like the Keystone pipeline going we could see under $3.00 gas again and quit subsidizing the arabs and their insanity.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by barry hanna
You're right, they need to do something. I'm presently about 13 around town and 19 on the highway. Of course, my truck is a 4x4 with a 3.92 ratio and a
6-speed
If you gotta have a hemi, they're selling the 5.7 with a 3.23 rear and 8 speed now, it'll save you a bit mpg wise. It'll tow a 7.5K lb trailer... If you're not towing, why pay for the poor gas mileage? Get the 3.6 gas instead and save a bunch on fuel.

I had an Olds diesel back in the dark ages..
Was that the diesel converted from gas engine? Bad strategy.

Dodge does it right in that respect, the engine comes from an expert supplier with years experience. I'd have one in my driveway today, replacing my 04 5.7 Hemi 6spd 3.92 SLT Quad Cab... IF they would be more reasonable with the cost... $4.5K upgrade from a gas engine - thanks Dodge, I can buy ALOT of extra fuel with the $4.5k I don't fork out.

Instead, I just bought a Chevy Cruze Eco 6 speed manual for the daily driver chore... 42+ mpg highway... I'm getting 35 average city. 1.4 turbo and the manual trans = lots of pep. Still have the 04 Ram, as I still have use for the truck... just don't need it as a daily driver.

If the government would get off their duff and get things like the Keystone pipeline going we could see under $3.00 gas again and quit subsidizing the arabs and their insanity.
I don't think that is the answer in itself, reducing the demand will have a big affect on foreign interests. I actually LIKE the outcome of the govt mandating efficiency. VVT is mainstream, many speed transmissions are getting close to mainstream, lightweight technologies are getting hotter, and increased aerodynamic design effort...

Lets face it... The manufacturers COULD have done this years ago, all the tech and knowledge was readily available. But it is totally obvious that you have to put a gun to their head, otherwise they have the consumer by the *****. I hate govt interference, but this stuff wasn't coming w/o mandates; they had their opportunity to bring it out on their own. I bought a 1995 truck brand new, when I was thinking of upgrading 3 years later, the replacement with same displacement engine had WORSE gas mileage.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the government would get off their duff and get things like the Keystone pipeline going we could see under $3.00 gas again and quit subsidizing the arabs and their insanity.
Not quite sure why that would help considering we get more oil from Canada right now then the Persian Gulf states.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Dusty48
Veteran

Well, we've used aluminum on heavy-duty trucks (class 6, 7 & 80 for 30 years. The material cost is greater but the finished cost is less due to lower stamping and forming costs. The issue of aftermarket repair is there but this is a concept whose time has come. And aluminum is more forgiving than steel as far a denting transfer damage, etc. I'm afraid Chrysler will have to get in step or get a new pair of boots.
I would be careful to make a lot of assumptions regarding aluminum.
First, Car & Driver's three truck evaluation in 2009 listed the F150 as the heaviest LD pickup at 5880 lbs., followed by the Ram at 5840, and the Silverado at 5540 (all 4x4, top trim line). The Ram was equipped with the Ram Box, which adds another 62 lbs., the others, of course, did not have.
That places the Ram at about 102 pounds lighter than the F150. In 2013, and again in 2014, Ram reduced the curb weight by using more high strength steels. The published data indicate another 72 pounds were removed from 2009. That adds up to 174 pounds, approximately.
I recently replaced my 2010 Big Horn Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi with an almost identical 2014 except that the new one has the 8HP70 transmission. That transmission is supposed to be 30 pounds heavier, but despite that and the fact that the '14 has Active Grill Shutters, my 2014 curb weight is still 191 pounds lighter than the 2010.
Ford has recently stated that the use of aluminum will reduce weight by 360 pounds. So, the differential between an "aluminum" F150 and an all steel Ram may end up being less than 200 pounds. Keep in mind that that goes along with a new 2.7 liter motor.
As far as aluminum repairs go, based on what I've read Ford will be using a "military grade" material, which can be expected to be a little heavier and more brittle than the average run-of-the-mill material. I've talked to two auto body technicians and they say their shops do not work on aluminum cars. That, of course may change.
After talking to a few material engineers, I do not find any evidence that dies and forming tooling will be any cheaper. In fact, I was told that heavier aluminum sheets have forming restrictions that steel does not have.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 007600 miles.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Dusty48
Veteran

Even assuming you've got a 4x4 with the 3.92 axle in a Crew Cab, you are way below the normal average (10-14 MPG). There is either something very wrong with your vehicle or your driving style. My last twelve tanks, hand calculated, were as follows: 22.86, 17.69, 18.91, 23.03, 22.74, 23.09, 18.87, 18.73, 21.27, 20.35, 22.06. The 17.69 was all short trip city driving and I would judge to be my worst driving scenario. The two tanks in the 18s were dragging three ATVs at 70+ MPH.
Everyone else I've talked to is getting better than 18 average.

Regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 007600 miles.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Was gonna say I OWN a GMC with a 454 (see sig) and it gets less than half of either one of my rams in regards to gas mileage LOL

Quick Reply: No Aluminum Ram in the Near Future