4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New key fobs on Amazon...and they work!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Heminoob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New key fobs on Amazon...and they work!

Both of the fobs on my 2011 Ram 1500 SLT decided to die during a cold snap in December (of course). My stealerships here in Calgary quoted $250 per new fob plus up to $150 to program them. That's $650 to get my remotes to work again!

So I said "F" that, and did a search on Amazon to see what my options were. I found one retailer selling a pair of our fobs for $33.99, so I bought them. Then I went on Kijiji (it's a Canadian thing so far...like Craiglist but better) and found a guy who would come to my house and program them for $80. so for $120 both of my new fobs work perfectly and I got to keep $500 in my jeans. Time to go invest that into a levelling kit and a programmer!

Old 04-14-2017, 08:09 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, goes to show what thieves the stealerships are. That's ridiculous but glad you shared this info. Nice job!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heminoob
Both of the fobs on my 2011 Ram 1500 SLT decided to die during a cold snap in December (of course). My stealerships here in Calgary quoted $250 per new fob plus up to $150 to program them. That's $650 to get my remotes to work again!

So I said "F" that, and did a search on Amazon to see what my options were. I found one retailer selling a pair of our fobs for $33.99, so I bought them. Then I went on Kijiji (it's a Canadian thing so far...like Craiglist but better) and found a guy who would come to my house and program them for $80. so for $120 both of my new fobs work perfectly and I got to keep $500 in my jeans. Time to go invest that into a levelling kit and a programmer!
Do your old fobs still start the truck, just the buttons dont work? if so a dead battery in the fob. My work deals with it all the time with our Caravans (same fobs)

Also if you want 2 new fobs, from the dealer. Its cheaper to buy the Remote start kit, I was quoted $600 installed at the dealer in Nova Scotia, And this also includes 2 new fobs with the remote start button.