4th Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 4th gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Couple of new mods to my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of new mods to my truck!

Plasti-Dipped the stock 17" Aluminum Wheels. Pretty pleased with the outcome. I like that I can take it off if it gets scratched or ruined and simply spray it on again. This stuff is actually pretty cool.

Pulled the front grille emblem which comes out in two pieces. Plasti-Dipped the Rams head and painted the background to match my stripe color. Used a Plastic paint that requires no prep work for the background piece. Couldn't obviously tell if it was going to match my stripes that well but it came out in exactly the same color.

I also took off the Chrome Bug Deflector. I just think that with the sport performance hood the truck looks much better without the bug deflector. Btw the deflector is on sale for $50 if any of you are interested. It's the Mopar one straight from the stealership. Planning on debadging the doors, and getting some exhaust work done here in the near future.

Last edited by Shibby927; 10-18-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good bud! Diggin the plasti-dipped rims! Did you do your rear emblem too or just the front?

I just took my bug deflector off my truck this weekend as well, looks to tacky.

before w/ the bug deflector

IMG_4012 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

w/out bug deflector

IMG_4453 by Mikeyyy816, on Flickr

Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
I just took my bug deflector off my truck this weekend as well, looks to tacky.
Looks great without it. Meaner.

Rob

Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys without bug deflectors might want to look into clearshield for your hood. you'd be surprised how much the front 4-5 inches of your hood eats without a deflector

Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mdram43
you guys without bug deflectors might want to look into clearshield for your hood. you'd be surprised how much the front 4-5 inches of your hood eats without a deflector
+1

3M ScotchCal is a marvelous invention. I have most of the front-end of my truck covered.

Rob

Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

Nah I haven't done the back emblem yet. I think for the back I'm going to be getting the Mopar shield emblem from billetbadges.com. I want to get that emblem with the Mopar M in black with a blue background. My upcoming plans are to do some debadging. Going to get rid of the "RAM 1500" on the doors as well as the "SLT" and "4x4" badges from the tailgate. I am also contemplating plasti-dipping the door handles to see how that would look.

I agree the deflector just looked too tacky. Detracts from the flowing muscular look of the front end. I'll have to look into this 3m Scotchcal stuff. How do you apply it?

Last edited by Shibby927; 10-18-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:35 AM
MattsMountain
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the plastidip on the rims. Did you pull the tires and spray them off of the truck. Guessing you did with the chrome lugs. I did my atv tires with it and dig the look. Been contemplating doing my truck now too. I get new 35" tires and a 4" lift next week - maybe I'll hit 'em up after that. Looks great!!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mdram43
I'll have to look into this!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Shibby927
Nah I haven't done the back emblem yet. I think for the back I'm going to be getting the Mopar shield emblem from billetbadges.com. I want to get that emblem with the Mopar M in black with a blue background. My upcoming plans are to do some debadging. Going to get rid of the "RAM 1500" on the doors as well as the "SLT" and "4x4" badges from the tailgate. I am also contemplating plasti-dipping the door handles to see how that would look.

I agree the deflector just looked too tacky. Detracts from the flowing muscular look of the front end. I'll have to look into this 3m Scotchcal stuff. How do you apply it?
I thought about de-badging, just don't think it'll look good on my truck...idk. I'm thinking of a logo I want and going to add it to the back, not sure what I want yet....

Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MattsMountain
Love the plastidip on the rims. Did you pull the tires and spray them off of the truck. Guessing you did with the chrome lugs. I did my atv tires with it and dig the look. Been contemplating doing my truck now too. I get new 35" tires and a 4" lift next week - maybe I'll hit 'em up after that. Looks great!!
Thanks! Yeah I took the wheels off one at a time and sprayed them. Cleaned them each with a soft rag and some Eagle 1 Aluminum Wheel Cleaner. Dried them off completely, taped off the holes with masking tape from behind the wheel, and then sprayed them with about three separate layers.

I thought about de-badging, just don't think it'll look good on my truck...idk. I'm thinking of a logo I want and going to add it to the back, not sure what I want yet....
I definitely want to debadge. The RAM 1500 just makes the side of the truck look tacky and jumbled in my opinion. I don't have any problems with the Hemi fender badge, but the RAM 1500 just gets under my skin. You're probably right about your truck though. It might look pretty decent with the color your truck is. It stands out way too much against black though.

Quick Reply: Couple of new mods to my truck!