DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   After market accessories (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/186258-after-market-accessories.html)

blue2050 01-16-2009 10:24 AM

After market accessories

I have been browsing around to see what is out there for the 2009 Dodge Ram HEMI.
Specifically looking for a better flowing intake to fit the 09 TB.

A company out of Georgia has the XDI True Flow in stock. Just ordered mine for 299.00
http://www.totalappearance.com/
Contact Tim 770-717-0734. Said he has 2...I got one. Can order more no problem.

Here is XDI True Flow
http://www.trueflow.com/xdi.php
They do not sell to individuals.

Here is a review
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/Ne...tegoryId=45938
and I see they posted my question how to get it, typo and all.

Maybe this thread can be a sticky for aftermarket parts 4th gen as they come out.

kxwhite 01-17-2009 08:04 PM

those websites didnt have it specific for an 09. let us know how it fits and if it gives any error codes.

blue2050 01-22-2009 08:58 PM

XDI Install Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4 x 4

Installation was a snap. 10 and 1 screwdriver and #13 open end wrench.
Test fit everything, arrange clamps how you want the screws to end up.
Make sure everything is pulled up tight then tighten clamps. I started at the TB.
Be sure to install the Filter in the cannister before mounting. There is a peice of plastic from the stock mount that pevents removal without taking the canister loose. 2 nuts.
It comes with good instructions.
Taking the stock out was the hardest part and that took about 15 minutes.

As mentioned in the on line magazine article. The XDI brings out the music of the intake, however only at full or near full throttle. It is silent cruising at 55 mph.

My resaon for getting it.
I have driven this truck 1001 miles prior to installing the XDI. Best I ever saw was 16.3 mpg.
That was at 55 on cruise level ground.
Initial test with XDI installed. 20 miles at 55, 15 miles at 45, 5 miles at 35...x2.
Best was 19.1 mpg. Averaged out to 17.9 by the time I backed it into the garage.
Average down the 55 mph zone on cruise was 18.3.

Next day: Drove 35 miles to a Dodge dealer. stop, go 0-65mph city drive. Round trip, landed in the garage with an 18.7 mpg reading. I saw 20.3.

I am pleased enough with the looks. It comes in black or silver. I opted for silver..my truck is silver. I do like the sound....and

No codes from the trucks computer. Just for you, I connected my OBD11 code reader. No codes, green light...all good. Only sensor affected...as far as I know... is the IAT.
It will not throw a code becuase it 20 below 0, or 120 above or air speed. It adds its input to determine fuel injection based on the density/temp of the air.

That being said. I do have a heat soak concern. It is metal and routes over the engine.
The intake canister itself draws air from a good place. Should get mostly outside air.
XDI says theres is best for off road. I agree its heavy duty but the stock unit is more water water/crud resistant.

I am pleased enough. I will take 2 mpg any day.
Cheers
M. Blue

Took the XDI off, re-installed the stock intake and drove it 20 miles to the dodge dealer..warranty issues with my truck...dealer ordered some parts supposed to fix it...2 weeks out.
Drove it 20 miles back home while I wait for parts.
Point being. I reset the gas milage before driving to the dealer. Got it back home and 15.2 mpg again.

Nor-tah 01-24-2009 11:56 PM

Good to know!! Thanks for posting this!!

Vector02 01-25-2009 12:39 PM

Looks like that intake might be worth the money. With 2mpg, it will pay for itself in no time...

Vector02 01-25-2009 02:33 PM

Is it a different model for the 09 5.7, or will the 05-08 5.7 model work?

blue2050 01-25-2009 06:10 PM

I have not seen previous model hemi's.
The throttle body intake is mounted horizontal...facing the front of the engine pre 2009
The 2009 has a new dual runner manifold design. Shorter runners for low end..longer for high.

The 2009 throttle body faces up. It 90's into the manifold.
I really think XDI probably just addded a peice of pipe and and elbow to last years design but I do not really know having never seen one before.

Whether the 2009 will work or not I do not know.

I do know you can get the XDI for 2008 Hemi and ealier easy. Its 2009 parts that are hard to come by....why I posted.

I know K&N, XDI, AEM...all the intake distributers have intakes for 2008 back.

Call Tim, he will hook you up with whetever engine you have.
Or just google it. Loads of intakes for ealier model rams....any vehicle.

This improvment in gas milage exceeds what I expected...XDI did claim 2 mpg and Tim at Total Apperance said the hemi engines seem to respond to the XDI better than any other.
Seeing is beliving. Was always 15 mpg or so around here. Short runs. Now its always 18 something or high 17's when I park. All this is the computer. I have not done a real test yet. Going on a road trip next week. I will post some real gas pump calc numbers.
I fully expect it to be even better cruising for 5 hours....we will see.

Helevitia 01-26-2009 01:26 AM

A few questions...

1. Did you notice any increase (or decrease) in HP? The site claims up to 27HP.
2. What kind of gas do you use? 87 or 89?
3. Do you have a crew cab? quad cab? and what size wheels?

I have a crew cab laramie with 20's. Just trying to guage what to expect for my vehicle. Thanks!

blue2050 01-26-2009 07:10 AM

I am sure there is an increase in HP.
CDI and others test on Dyno's. I am not going to bother with that. Its not a race car.
There is definitely no loss in HP. Its stock 390 HP.

Its a 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4 Lararmie Crew Cab, with 20" wheels. I made a garage here, pics there.

I run 89 octane.

You might notice a Hp improvement. Mine runs strong with or without the intake.
You will NOT see any loss in HP.
Gets much better gas milage with the XDI.

Truth is, I have been so wrapped up in my wind noise issue I have not really got to enjoy and rate this XDI other than what the computer MPG tells me.

Vector02 01-26-2009 09:45 AM

Just placed my order! :D