4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 - vs. - The 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500

Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 - vs. - The 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500

Chevy brags about their big fuel economy (read the comparison here)...Is the Chevy advantage in MPG enough for you to consider a new Silverado over a Ram?

For me, having tested both of these trucks, the Chevy would have to get prius mileage before i would consider it. Im not being all that biased in saying this...the chevy interior was about as refined as our second gen ram...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Bionicrooster
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, I am a Dodge guy and even I was laughing reading these "reviews"... sounds like a discussion in 9th grade study hall : "my dodge is better at everything than your Chevy!"

you would think if they were that great they would sell better....

Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
mike2810
Captain

I test drove the Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram 1500. There were things I liked about each truck. For me it boiled down to who had the best deal and warrenty. I tend to keep vehicles 10 years or more. The way I looked at it all three got basically the same mpg. I chose the Dodge for the extended warrenty, great ride, and better deal dollar wise. Now I just hope Dodge stays in business.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM
skidooinit

Although the Chevy (07) and Tundra (08) have been the top dogs in the trucking industry the Ram and f150 have made significant gains for 09. In my opinion the Tundra when available is still a valid option. When my family compared all trucks, the only vehicle that was clearly out of the running was the Chevy. Within 1 mile of our test drive we ALL knew the Chevy wasn't cuttn it. Cramped / uncomfortable rear quarters, less styling, harsh shifting when pegged - just felt boring.
Even with $2500 worth of GMC points the choice was simple.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
shark27

I owned an '04 Avalanche and had alsways thought that I was a chevy guy. When looking at new trucks I test drove the 09 Chevy, 09 GMC, the 09 Tundra and the Ram. I was shocked at how much better it felt to drive/ride in the Ram. The GMC and Chevy seemed ok...but it seems to me that they are both years behind in their designs for exterior and interior. The Toyota seemed cheap to me. I nailed my head just geting itno the thing and it rode like a lumber wagon. Both my wife and I knew about 2 miles into each test drive that the Ram was our choice. For the record..I'm no longer a Chevy guy. I'm a Ram believer...there is NO comparison, in my opinion, to any of the other 09 trucks. I didn't test a Ford...can't see myself in one. Ever.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM
randomraider

Honestly, I was looking for an '08 Chevy CC with Texas Edition before I realized I could afford a brand new Ram with all the employee pricing and discounts.

I had even found one at a dealership that looked great, had 4k miles on it, and had everything I felt I "needed". They sold it 3 hours before I got there.

I'm 6'3", and I felt my head rub against the headliner just a little bit. Since it was not power driver seat, there was no way to lower it. The back seat did not look as roomy as I thought a Crew Cab was supposed to be, but I dismissed it because it was a Crew Cab and did seem to have more room than my old F150 xcab.

Looking back, I'm happy that they sold it before I got there. Yes, I would have gotten a truck for about 4-5k less than what I paid for this new Ram, but there are a TON of things that I LOVE about this new Ram.

I've always wanted dual exhaust, just never felt it was a need. The built in inverter was great. The ride was awesome. The back seat is super roomy. The in-floor storage bins were a cool plus and fuel economy is rated the same...oh...and 390 hp in the HEMI.

Looking back, I felt I got a much nicer truck that, while in the very top of my price range, was a wonderfu purchase.

I still like the way the new Chevy's look and think they are leaps and bounds better than the old body style, but I'm happy as a clam to be sporting the new Ram(rhyme time =)

Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
MMMMRice
Veteran

As far as mpg goes my ram is way better. My 07 nbs silverado was an ecsb with the 6.0 4spd and 4.10s got 13 tops on the highway. My ram which is a rcsb with the 3.55s gets 18.5 on the highway. As far as performance, the 5.3 which is the biggest motor allowed in the rcsb chevy is no comparison. If someone were to get the 09 with a 6.2/6-speed with the same cab configuration as the ram with a hemi it would be close if not the chevy pulling on the ram. I raced my dad in his 06 crew cab and from a stop we were dead even because of chevy horrible torque management. When we raced from a 20mph roll I pulled 2 car lenghts on him by 80. that with the 367 horse 6.0 not the 400 horse 6.2.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
markypoo904

Traded my 07 NBS Silverado Z71 4x4 for a Ram Sport 4x4, and I gotta say I dont miss it, This Ram has everything the silverado had, plus much more, and the MDS engine works awesome for me going and coming from work, I was never really a big fan of Dodge until I saw and test drove the truck, I had been driving chevys since I was 16, (currently 21) thumbs up to dodge for the new ram! although I still respect the silverados! ( dads got an 08 )

P.S. Magnaflow Mufflex is being shipped as we speak 14'', ill try and get vid's up asap.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Gerbie28

I too was never a big Dodge guy but when i test drove this 09 Ram well let me tell ya I fell in love, the ride is awesome and the looks in my opion are 10 times better than any of the competition!!! I have owned Fords 350 & 150, Chev 1500 and even a Nissan Frontier and this new Ram is far better than all of them!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 - vs. - The 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500