4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4X4 Lock Rubbing Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM
00bigmattyc00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 Lock Rubbing Sound?

Hey guys,

had some snow the last few weeks, at one point I was in 4x4 lock doing about 25 on side roads heading to work. I was at a stop sign. When I began accelerating, I started to notice what sounded like a metal on metal or metal on sheet metal, rubbing sound, almost like a constant scrape. Wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and what it was. I remember I had a similar sound in my old explorer but only while turning (only very slightly like changing lanes) and it was the HUB and Bearing. Hopefully that isnt the case with these. Let me know gents.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00bigmattyc00
Hey guys,

had some snow the last few weeks, at one point I was in 4x4 lock doing about 25 on side roads heading to work. I was at a stop sign. When I began accelerating, I started to notice what sounded like a metal on metal or metal on sheet metal, rubbing sound, almost like a constant scrape. Wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and what it was. I remember I had a similar sound in my old explorer but only while turning (only very slightly like changing lanes) and it was the HUB and Bearing. Hopefully that isnt the case with these. Let me know gents.
4x4 lock on a road isnt real good idea. Center diff locked out so any difference front to rear traction or even slight tire size turns into binding. Likely something continually binding that was causing the noise.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:02 AM
00bigmattyc00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if all I have is 4x4 Low and 4x4 Lock, which am I using when theres 20" of snow on the ground and I have to drive to work? Isnt Low for towing?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00bigmattyc00
So if all I have is 4x4 Low and 4x4 Lock, which am I using when theres 20" of snow on the ground and I have to drive to work? Isnt Low for towing?
Since you refer to 'lock' I assume you have the 4-position transfer case. If that's the case then you can use 'all wheel drive' or 'part time 4wd' or whatever that is called for driving whenever, including snowy roads. You could also use 4-lock in snowy conditions, but be aware that if you hit a dry stretch of road it isn't great to be in 4-lock for long. 4-low is for slow moving off-road use. You really shouldn't be in that driving on a road. It's for when you are driving slowly and needing lots of torque, perhaps while pulling/dragging something (not exactly 'towing') or going through mud.

If you have the 3-position transfer case then 4-lock (high) is your only choice for snowy roads. But the same caution as above applies to dry roads. You can switch on the fly, so it's OK to disengage and re-engage while going down the road as needed (unless you're flying down the interstate at 70 or something). Just be aware that the axle needs to unload to make the transition, so don't switch while accelerating.

Rob

Old 02-12-2016, 03:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

As long as you are in loose soil, gravel or snow/ice then you can safely use 4x4 lock.
I'm not sure what the noise was, but it may have been a one time oddity.

As for engage/disengage, I've engaged/disengaged 4wd-Hi on my 2008 Ram at 80mph several times due to clear/and then covered roads. Couldn't even feel the engagement.

i know, I know, if roads are as bad where you need 4wd, then why go 80. Because I did alright.

Quick Reply: 4X4 Lock Rubbing Sound?