DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Aftermarket Park Sense (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/193176-aftermarket-park-sense.html)

JohnVI 03-13-2009 07:53 PM

Aftermarket Park Sense

Hey guys,
New owner of a new 09 1500 - 4x4, TRX package, Hemi, Crew Cab, uconnect, remote start.

I have a question for you guys, I wanted the ruck off the lot as it had everything i wanted, and didn't have the center console (I'm 6'6" and need the room) and i got a petty good deal (I think, $32K on the road, hope that's fair)

Well the truck didnt have the nav head unit or park sense rear park assist. I scheduled to have the park sense put in after the fact (Got it for half price from dealer) and HOLY CRAP!! Not sure if anyne has seen the Mopar after the fact park assist but its 4 ugly big boxes, two that mount to the edge of the bumper and two that mount on that rear step in the bumer center section. The technician called me first and said you might want to look at thing thing before i install it... Well now im bummed cause thats the only kit GM offer, were they smoking crack when they designed this?

Does anyone have any advie for a decent after maket rear park assist systm , i dont want to have to go out and buy the nav head unit $2K and then he camera $2-3hundred...

Thanks gang

Sobomaster 03-13-2009 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JohnVI (Post 1586899)
Hey guys,
New owner of a new 09 1500 - 4x4, TRX package, Hemi, Crew Cab, uconnect, remote start.

I have a question for you guys, I wanted the ruck off the lot as it had everything i wanted, and didn't have the center console (I'm 6'6" and need the room) and i got a petty good deal (I think, $32K on the road, hope that's fair)

Well the truck didnt have the nav head unit or park sense rear park assist. I scheduled to have the park sense put in after the fact (Got it for half price from dealer) and HOLY CRAP!! Not sure if anyne has seen the Mopar after the fact park assist but its 4 ugly big boxes, two that mount to the edge of the bumper and two that mount on that rear step in the bumer center section. The technician called me first and said you might want to look at thing thing before i install it... Well now im bummed cause thats the only kit GM offer, were they smoking crack when they designed this?

Does anyone have any advie for a decent after maket rear park assist systm , i dont want to have to go out and buy the nav head unit $2K and then he camera $2-3hundred...

Thanks gang

Two things:

1. If you're installing a GM park sense rear park assist into a Dodge, that's your problem right there.

2. You can pick up a MyGig with nav for $600 on eBay and then hook up the camera.

3. When I bought my '07 they offered to install a Mopar park assist for which they said they had to drill holes in the bumper to flush mount them. Sounds like there should be something better out there.

blue2050 03-13-2009 08:47 PM

Here is what the stock park sensors look like. Obviously I have holes in my bumper.
Same thing on chrome...just more obvious since the sensors are black.

I was going to upload a rear shot of mine but I can only have 100kb total pictures.
I write and write the moderators. Used to be able to post pictures of an install or anything here. Annoying...

So here is a page where you can see what I am talking about. The 4 black dots on the bumper...down towards the bottom of the page
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodg...es-safety.html

JohnVI 03-13-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sobomaster (Post 1586936)
Two things:

1. If you're installing a GM park sense rear park assist into a Dodge, that's your problem right there.

2. You can pick up a MyGig with nav for $600 on eBay and then hook up the camera.

3. When I bought my '07 they offered to install a Mopar park assist for which they said they had to drill holes in the bumper to flush mount them. Sounds like there should be something better out there.

Thanks, didn't know they were that cheap - I noted your mods (.45),, 1911 by far greatest weapon ever made... assuming its not a glock/sig/tauru/etc

TedEbear 03-13-2009 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by blue2050 (Post 1586953)
I was going to upload a rear shot of mine but I can only have 100kb total pictures.
I write and write the moderators.

You can u/l pics to your personal album on photobucket.com and then insert the pic directly into your message here. The pic storage on Photobucket is free. I'm not sure if there's a limit. I have probably over 150 pics stored on there.

Here's the backup camera I use with MyGIG:

Attachment 109571

Sobomaster 03-13-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JohnVI (Post 1586959)
Thanks, didn't know they were that cheap - I noted your mods (.45),, 1911 by far greatest weapon ever made... assuming its not a glock/sig/tauru/etc

It's actually a Taurus Millenium Pro PT145. It was pretty cheap and shoots well enough and it's compact enough to be easily concealed and still carries 10+1.

Thinking of getting a Smith & Wesson 1911 w/ laser sight in the grip, but they have a backorder of like 250 units and it could be months before they catch up. For now I'm shooting my buddy's at the range every now and then.

dodge5.9liter 03-13-2009 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TedEbear (Post 1586971)
You can u/l pics to your personal album on photobucket.com and then insert the pic directly into your message here. The pic storage on Photobucket is free. I'm not sure if there's a limit. I have probably over 150 pics stored on there.

Here's the backup camera I use with MyGIG:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...eff/camera.jpg

How much did that run?

Sobomaster 03-13-2009 09:39 PM

Take a look at this:

http://www.authenticdodge.com/produc...oducts_id=2893.

It comes with a replacement tailgate handle, the camera and wiring. It's much more discrete and is properly pointed down at your hitch to assist with hooking up to a trailer. And it doesn't require a lockpick which most other cameras require.

TedEbear 03-14-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dodge5.9liter (Post 1587018)
How much did that run?

The camera sells for $129 from Coastaltech (Lockpick). It has a very low 0.5 lux requirement - not quite infrared but you can really see pretty well with it on a dark night. It comes on automatically whenever I shift into reverse or I can press a few buttons on MyGIG and view what's behind me as I drive 70 mph down the highway. That's an interesting view. :) Future add-ons may include a front IR camera with a switchable front/rear view for driving with the lights completely off. I think I saw it in a movie once (Cannonball Run?).

The only thing I do not like about it is it has tiny and somewhat fragile mounting ears. I snapped one off when I was attempting to drill out the mounting holes to enlarge them for some tamper-resistant screws. I currently have it mounted via one screw. It seems to be holding securely after over a year.

Coastaltech never returned numerous emails I sent to them, requesting info on where I could send the camera to be repaired at my expense. I've concluded that they are friendly toward potential customers before the sale but things change after they have your money.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CAMERA%20KIT.jpg

JohnVI 03-15-2009 09:36 AM

Pictures of stock Tailgate handle

Does anyone have pictures/video of what you see in the driver seat looking at the mygig screen?

Im just trying to see if its worth buying the mygig and the taillock camera. If this setup is mainly designed for only backing up into a trailer, it would be the best fit for me

Also, are the only things i would need the MyGig head unit and the camera??