DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Not impressed in my DrawTie hitch (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/196906-not-impressed-in-my-drawtie-hitch.html)

Silver Shark 04-11-2009 07:42 PM

Not impressed in my DrawTie hitch

I went up to Uhaul today to get a receiver put on and I'm not impressed with the way the Draw Tite hitch is attached. They had to pop the cover off the bumper where the ball would go and place a bolt thru it to the hitch. Then there are two more bolts under the truck by the spare that you can not see. The hitch did not come with a new cap to cover the top bolt so it is just there ugly as hell. I went over to another truck accessory shop to see what type they had and theirs was the same way with no new cap to cover the top bolt.

blue2050 04-11-2009 09:06 PM

Hey,

I had the same problem. If you do not buy it from Mopar you do not get the llittle plastic cap. Ugly as you say.

Dodge can order it or you can call Mopar.
Her is the little raised cover part number.
68055052-AA ....$5.88

Took me a month to find that. Installed today. Looks 100% better.
Cheers
Blue

Silver Shark 04-12-2009 10:25 AM

Man thanks a million for the heads up on that part number for the cap! I was thinking of either having the thing welded on and remove th top bolt all together or going back to uhaul and trying to get them to remove it and get my money back.

Silver Shark 04-12-2009 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pics of the bolt, is this how your looked before you bought the cap from dodge?

Attachment 108018

Attachment 108019

blue2050 04-12-2009 11:24 AM

I know what you mean.
I could not get anybody to weld it and warranty it for 12000 lbs.
I called everybody for a month trying to find this part. I PM'ed the fellow here deeper in this 4th gen forum that has the same hitch with...the cap...never heard from him.
Spent an hour at the Dodge Parts counter. Had the service manger looking.
Friday I tried to get my remote start fixed. No good, scratching their heads..still broke.
Bought a remote and locking tailgate handle.
Parts guy, DeWayne says, I got your bumper cap with a big smile. I shook his hand.

I had resolved to take that loss and remove it. maybe get my money back but the place that put it on had sign. "Absoultly no returns on used parts."

I was giving it another week then I was going to buy the whole deal that comes OEM on the Dodge Ram with the hitch package. Tube from side to side..etc. 10x the price.

The little plastic cap saved the day....and me alot of money.
You are very welcome. Make sure the parts guy knows what you are tring to get.
First attempt i got another flat plastic plug like the one I took out.....no DeWayne
Hope this helps anyone who buys this hitch find that part. Finished the install. Looks nice.
Not as nice as the OEM but nice enough for me and I am picky.
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3055&pc=33617

Silver Shark 04-12-2009 11:31 AM

So you were able to order just the cap by itself from dodge using the part number listed above? That would be awesome!

blue2050 04-12-2009 11:49 AM

Yep, that is exactly what mine looked like. I DID make them center the bolt and that looked better. I actullay held the bolt in place as he tightened it.
His first attempt was off to one side. That would not do at all.

You need at least a 1/16th or so on all sides for the cap to snap in. Its has tabs around the edges...snaps in tight.

I got that part number off the bag it came in...should be good.
If all else fails PM me again and I will buy it here and send it to you.
I know your pain.

It was the right part this time in that bag I gave you the part number off of. Not sure what my parts guy did to get that part by itself. It is part of the whole package from MOPAR only.
I told them it was a Mopar hitch that did not come with the cap in the box. Far as I know it was the Mopar hitch.!?..but it did not have a cap. I watched him open the box.
Not really sure it was Mopar but I suspect that is what the parts guy told them. He pleasantly suprised me Friday.
Might need to do the same mine did not come withat cap line...I still had to pay though so I really do not know. I will ask Monday as it goes in again. Big day I hope!!!!!!!!!

I do not think you can find it on line. I tried that everywhere.

I will take a better picture you can print and take with you to the parts place if you want...a little later, busy today. Seems explaining what you need is the hardest part.
I took my part guy at Dodge out to my truck to look at it....he is a friend these days. Took the service manager to look at it.
All the while my real issue is they are to fix is my damn wrinkled seat....and the remote start. That was a nice suprise Friday.
Happy Easter
Blue

Cheers Blue

sarguy01 04-12-2009 11:53 AM

Mine didn't come like that, though I think the TRX-4 comes standard with the hitch.

blue2050 04-12-2009 12:54 PM

Yea, the OEM hitch is welded to that tube that runs from left to right frame. Much nicer piece and mucho expensive if your truck did not come with a hitch.
What you see we have is a less expesive alternative.

You know I had a 2009 Laramie 4 x 4. It had the OEM hitch. Crew cab..needed a longer bed. Sold it and got a sport quad. Only truck with a solid interior and all the stuff I wanted.
Should have just ordered one...not doing this again.
Thus truck is close, has more options but no hitch or tow hooks. So I added the same hitch questioned here a day after buying it. I have to tow.

So here is a picture of what mine looks like with the cap installed over the bolt. Started to take it off to show you my bolt head but its nice and tight, leaving it that way.
It ain't perfect but it will do.
I need to dent this truck so I can use it and stop being anal about it. Its a truck.
I bought it for my work.
Here is a pic.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/P1010510.jpg

I do not see a little mountain icon anywhere moderator...click on the link until I figure this out.

Altair 04-12-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by blue2050 (Post 1629173)
I do not see a little mountain icon anywhere moderator...click on the link until I figure this out.

I think you need to be using the enhanced editor for that to show up. Click on User CP at the top then Edit Options on the left side. If you scroll all the way down there should be a drop-down box for Message Editor Interface. Make sure you have "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" selected then hit Save Changes.