4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Labguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mud Flaps

Has anyone purchased and installed mud flaps on their new 09 Ram with fender flairs. Does Dodge have any avalible or are there better options in the after market? Any information is appreciated.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:59 PM
skidooinit

My bud and I put on a set of the black molded mopar splash guards and they came out awesome. We had to position them perfectly on the fender moldings but the final product is nice. I keep saying that I'm gonna have pics but I want all my acc. on before I post.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
jsmit450
Rookie

Originally Posted by skidooinit
My bud and I put on a set of the black molded mopar splash guards and they came out awesome. We had to position them perfectly on the fender moldings but the final product is nice. I keep saying that I'm gonna have pics but I want all my acc. on before I post.
I put the mopar ones on it was definetly worth it, they look good and function good. At first I wasn't sure but now I like them.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
jhedger
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can some of you please post some pics, I am interested in these, but want to see how they look. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to issue a warning, well call it a caution....

I had a set of molded mopars on my 05. I took them off when I put on the Bushwacker fender flares. When I took them off I noticed they were begining to wear through the paint. I am sure at some point it would have been exposing metal. Obviously that is not good, rust would have began to set in under the flaps and eventually working to where you could see it. My truck had 20 something thousand miles on it while running the flaps. I had NO chips along the rockers, doors or fenders, they did very well preventing that. The area is was rubbing through the paint was the edge of the molded flap, basically making a line down the side of the fenders.

Now, I am not saying the 09 molded flares will do the same thing, but I know I will not risk it. But I also am not risking salt in the winter from hitting my rockers and fenders. I have decided I will run flaps in the winter and take them off in the summer. They will not be molded. I am going with a universal flat type flap. I am not going to drill into the fender either. I plan to drill 4 holes into the plastic wheel wells, then attach the flaps with connectors like below. It will make it easy to take on and off, plus I can use the connectors to fill the hole when not running the flaps. I also plan on putting some protection, some kind of tape, over the inside part of the fenders that are painted and that the flap comes in contact with.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/GM_...r_p/a21112.htm

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Roc...pas1861-25.htm

Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Smile
Rookie

that is a great idea to use mud flaps seasonally.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles on your truck BH? Have you drven it through the snow this winter?

Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
jhedger
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks bounty hunter for the pics...I'm still torn tough.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Smile
Rookie

does someone make a smaller, more concealed mud flap?

i don't like how the mopars go up the side of the fender.

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps